Chapter Two

The little bell above the door rang faintly in the small reception. Nancy walked down the short isle, made up of six chairs with ripped cushions. Waiting for anyone to notice her presence, she tapped a gloved finger on the faded counter bell. They told me to be here for three. You'd have thought someone would be waiting for me. Coughing a short breath, she slowly slid off her little, white glove, placed her palm over the bell, and began to rapidly tap it, until the noise reverberated off the cardboard-like walls.

Scuffling noises, coming from the door facing the desk, had made Nancy pause the bell's shouts, and a short blonde came stumbling out hurriedly. She flattened down her fitted blouse and looked up towards the steady stare of Nancy.

'Can I help you?' She couldn't have been much older than Nancy, as she gave the expectant customer a once over.

'I'm Nancy Williams, I have an appointment to see Mr Harvey.' She pointed a red manicured finger. 'I can see the room behind you is his office, so I will make my own way inside of there.' She began to walk past the short blonde, her shoulder barely reaching Nancy's bosom, but she stopped and turned to face her. 'You know,' she began, placing the ungloved hand close to the frizzed hair of the receptionist, making the motions of smoothing it down. 'Your curls would last ten times longer,' she sighs, 'if only you wore some dignity.' Before the blonde could muster a quick retort, Nancy had already closed the door to Mr Harvey's office.

Looking up towards the bouncing curls of the redhead, whilst fixing his tie, Mr Harvey's smugness tugged at the corner of his lips. 'I heard what you said to my receptionist.' He stated nonchalantly, returning his attention back to his scattered paperwork.

'Well, sir, I was scheduled to have a meeting with you at three, and it is,' Nancy checked her little watch, 'two minutes past.' Mr Harvey chuckled and looked up, lighting a cigarette, and blowing a cloud of smoke towards Nancy.

He looked her up and down.

'Sing.' Taken aback, Nancy stood looking at him. 'Did ya' not hear me? I want to get this done with quickly. Now sing.'

Slowly and unsurely, Nancy set her purse onto his desk, and took slow, deep breaths. Closing her eyes.

Seconds passed as she waited.

'Ain't no music going to start playing, kid. Get on with it.'

Nancy straightened, as the blush from her cheeks crept down to her neck. She had never been treated this harshly by a man before, and a song she heard recently slithered its way into her mind. 

'His eyes captured mine like I knew they would

His eyes followed me like I knew they should.'

Nancy sat on the edge of the desk slowly, twisting her body to face him.

'He leant into me for a goodbye kiss,

I said, 'you don't have to leave, I'm yours for the day'.

I would have said more, except-'

She leant down and took his cigarette in her mouth, blowing the smoke into his face.

'His lips got in the way.'

By now, Nancy's face was only inches away from Mr Harvey, who made no immediate move to compliment her.