10║the way they create

Start from the beginning

        I heard something crunch behind me and whipped my body around, nearly losing my balance. It’s then that I finally caught a sight of my assailant. Or should I say her.

        In all my years of passionately staring at the beauty of certain girls and wishing that I looked like them, I never thought that I would notice something so bizarre on a person’s face, their bone structure.

        It was the first thing that highlighted her face, the way her jaw line accentuated the preciseness of the shape of her face. Her plump, rouged lips which seemed to carry more crimson than blood itself although as I peered closer, it was evident she wasn’t wearing lipstick. Her rosy cheeks held fragile grains of emotion that glowed with a hint of pink against her pale complexion. She frowned and in a place where I was expecting creases in her skin there were instead faded remnants of renowned beauty. She brought her hood closer to her face, swiftly tucking away several strands that had fallen from its secure grasp.

        “Why are you looking at me like that?” she asked, the softness in her voice which I first heard returning.

        Everything felt unreal, too created, and artificial and I swear as I stared at her in awe, I recognised her from somewhere. She was stored in some part of my brain but I couldn’t put my finger on it. I was completely sure I had seen her, not in person but behind a screen. Those features I was gazing at as if it was the first time were familiar. She was my assailant. Why was she acting so casual?

         Before I could question her about anything, she turned around, walking to the rear of the garden and slipping into the trees which confirmed my suspicion that they lead to another place. Without waiting, I picked up my speed, also slipping into the trees. Pushing several branches aside, I stepped into an open gap. Following the noise of the crunching of twigs, I ventured further, the sound coming closer until I noticed her figure between two trees.

        As I got closer, pushing past the remaining jutting branches that were making my route more difficult to manoeuvre through, I tried to grasp her arm. Failing the first time, I nearly tripped over. I tried to grab her again as she walked on. Pushing past another couple of branches, I grabbed onto her arm as she stepped out into what seemed like an opening. She pulled me closer and as the sun hit me again at the opening, she pulled hard on my arm, throwing me onto the ground in front of her with great strength. I looked back up at her only to see her hand slamming down against my face. Falling to the floor, I clutched my face in pain.

        “What is your problem?” she said, turning away from me once again.

        The throbbing pain in my cheek resided there for a couple of moments before easing away. I got up on my feet. Clenching my fists, I stood there, eying her, stepping a little closer. She whipped her body around, looking straight at me, her eyes piercing me with an emerald touch. I couldn’t control the urge to scream anymore and before she could say anything else, I seized the opportunity to bring her back to the reality she seemed to be extremely distant from.

        “Excuse me if I sound rude, do keep in mind I was nearly shot and almost killed in some kind of bizarre explosion, but are you fucking crazy?”

        She looked at me as if I had just uttered something incomprehensible and it was the way her eyes shone in that moment that made me feel again as if I had seen her somewhere before. As if she could read my thoughts, she glared at me in a weird way as if to question why I was staring at her again and turned back around, her figure shielding me from the sun’s rays once again.

        “Come with me,” she said, walking on.

        With utter confusion and thoughts clogging my mind, I picked up my speed, walking steadily behind her. After a few moments of walking, with the air kissing my skin and causing tingles to run across the various cuts scattered across my legs, and with the birds chirping a melodious tune which put me off, she stopped in her tracks. After eyeing me continuously, with that glitter in her eyes which fixed my gaze onto hers, she dumbfounded me with what she said next.