Now - Noise

Her house is never quiet, not anymore. Every moment must be filled with some noise, whether that be music, or voice, or -god forbid- the news. At the moment the soft voice of her newest music discovery fills the void of silence, which overpowers the light knocking at her door. So, instead of waiting for her music to break in favor of a new song Katha opens the door, cautiously just in case. She pokes her head in and sees Sophia sitting cross legged on the floor staring out the window. Thats where she usually is when she’s at the apartment, lost in her own mind. Katha tilts her head sympathetically, watching her for another moment before announcing her presence. Sophia twists around quickly, catching Katha in the act.

“Don’t do that.” Sophia motions the words to Katha.

Sorry.” Katha signs back with her fingers.

“You interrupted music therapy.” Sophia says, forgetting to motion the phrase to Katha, who then looks at her with confusion. “My fault.” she signs the words to her this time and Katha nods, understanding.

Want to get out of the house today?” Sophia stands and turns her music down slightly, but enough to still hear it.

“Sure, where to?” Katha smiles before walking out, leaving Sophia alone in her room. She turns up the music enough to be able to hear it in the next room before packing her iPod into her purse then putting her running shoes on.  Katha waits in the kitchen until Sophia comes out wielding her purse, only a bit flustered with the lack of information.

Surprise.” Katha motions and leads them out of the apartment, Sophia is quick to remember locking the door. Once they are in the hall way the world is silent, her mind swirls and she takes Katha’s hand. Quickly Katha mumbles something, anything, just to rid Sophia of the silence. “Don’t worry,” she motions to Sophia, “The elevator has music.” They turn down the hall and hear the ding of the elevator landing on their floor. Sophia rushes into it, leaving Katha to walk at a normal pace. The relaxing music soothes Sophia’s nerves as she waits for Katha to get in the elevator as well. Katha presses the “L” button, like she always does.

The doors close the girls in and Katha smiles, finally leaving the house after days of waiting. Sophia on the other hand is trying her hardest not to freak out as the doors open, forcing her to leave the music behind. She pulls out her iPod from her purse and Katha stares at her, mentally scolding her.

You’re not supposed to depend on it, try to make it a few minutes and just listen to the people around you.” Katha signs, but Sophia hardly sees, her fingers already wrapped around the cord of her ear buds.

“One, two, three-” Katha lightly slaps her shoulder.

Don’t be so dramatic, I know you can do it.” Sophia sighs and closes her eyes, trying to relax, Katha leads them outside the apartments where the buzz of the city becomes the forefront of their brains. Sophia listens to each footstep, the car horns down the street, people talking into their cell phones, and even Katha’s breathing. She opens her eyes and takes a few steps on her own, but holding Katha’s hand as they cross the street.

I’m deaf, not blind. You don’t have to hold my hand.” Katha signs once they get across the street.

“I know, I just don’t want you to get hit by a car, slowpoke.” Sophia motions back, then begins to feel the nerves returning. Her fingers shake, gripping the iPod tighter, she breathes deeply, but the fear sets in anyways. Silence scares her more than anything, and despite the fact people are making noises all around her she can’t focus on any one voice or sound, it’s just noise in the background, she craves more, needs it like an addiction. She presses play and shove one earbud in her ear. She stops walking for a moment, relief flooding her veins.

One minute, that’s it?” Katha sighs, watching Sophia lightly bob her head to the music.

“They were coming back.” She mouths to Katha, too overwhelmed to bother signing it to her.

Fine, but only one earbud.” Katha compromises and leads them into a small store filled with records. “You’ll like this store anyways.”

~ ~ ~

A/N So, I wrote this a few days ago, and I know I'll have to edit all of this eventually, but stick with me, it gets better, and longer.