Chapter 1 - I'm a neighbor too.

One day, a gate to another world opened in Mikado City. "Neighbors" That's what they eventually called them. These invaders from another dimension trampled everything in the vicinity of the gate, spreading terror throughout the city. The neighbors' technology was different from that of their world. Mikado City's weapons were ineffective. Everyone believed it was only a matter of time before the city was destroyed. And then a mysterious group suddenly appeared. They repelled the neighbors and said, "Leave them to us. We've prepared for this day for a long time." They were an organization that independently studied neighbor technology and fought to protect their world. The border defense agency, or "Border" for short.

"AHH!" I screamed after looking at the time. I overslept. I quickly got up and cleaned up my room. Or well, not exactly my room. But the forest. I stuffed all my school supplies into my bag and took off in a hurry for school. Not caring about who saw me, I ran almost as fast as I can. Let me just say, I run fast. Finally, I ended up at the school. I ran to my classroom and took my seat, listening to the conversation that my classmates were having.
"I took this battle shot with a telephoto lens." The teen with slightly curly hair said. His friend looked at the picture for a few minutes and then said, "WHOA, THE NEIGHBOR'S HUGE!" I held in my laughs. I looked at the next group, "Did you hear that Border recruited her boyfriend?" She whispered to her friend. Her friend replied, "For real?! Wow!" In a cheery voice. I looked towards a group of boys. "I wanna join Border too! TRIGGER ON!" His friends responded in a joking manner, "Yeah right!" and, "Don't bother." I let out a giggle from his friends' reaction, not even believing in him. It was cute.
All the conversations in Mikado City revolved around Neighbors or Border. They've been the talk of the town for a while. Heros that protected the city. 'Maybe I should join Border.' I thought with a small smile on my face.

I heard a large bang in the seat behind me, Osamu Mikumo sat there. He was one of my first friends in this class. He was sorta uptight and responsible. But, he cared about people when he needed to. I turned around to see what happened. His head was hit by a supply bag, the clowns threw it at him. The supply bag landed on the desk after hitting his head. Osamu picked up the supply bag and rubbed his head. "Hey Osamu, ignore those fools," I told him in a concerned voice. Osamu tends to ignore them, but when he does, it makes them more annoyed. So he ends up engaging them. Osamu looked at me and said, "I can't, Aiko. You know that." He is selfless to a fault at times. But, that just makes him even more of a hero. I gave him a slight nod and watched to see what he would do. "Haha, you suck!" Clown number one laughed. "You were supposed to catch that." Clown number two said. Clown number three pushed the owner of the supply bag, while the owner yelled, "GIVE IT BACK!" In an anxious voice. "Hey four-eyes, fork it over." Clown number three said. Osamu looked back at the owner of the supply bag and stood up. He walked past the clowns and gave the supply bag to the owner. "Th-thanks." The owner stuttered out. Osamu walked back and took a seat. Clown number one said, "Sooo cool.." while whistling. "Dude, what a downer." Clown number two. I glared at the clowns and banged the desk, "Shut up." They got scared by the banging sound, what fools. Osamu had a slight sweat going down his face, while he held in laughter at what I did. I turned back around and set straight.

A few girls started talking, "Where's the teacher?" One of the girls wondered. "I bet she's taking care of the transfer student." Another one of the girls responded. "Oh yeah." I looked towards another group. "Nobody transfers into Mikado City." A guy with parted head hair said, "I can see people transferring out. Maybe they're in Border?" Osamu looked towards them with a serious face, his lips were slightly parted. His eyebrows perked up in interest.

After a while, the teacher pulled a student in the classroom, his hair was all over the place. He walked to the blackboard and wrote his name. Yuma Kuga is what it spelled. I wonder where I heard that name before, maybe in the neighborhood. He opened his mouth, "I'm Yuma Kuga!" He said in an excited voice. "I may be short, but I'm 15 years old!" He slightly bowed, "Apologies for my tardiness." The assistant teacher explained more about him, "He's been living overseas. It's his first time living in Japan, so let's all help him out." Classmates started chattering, "Is he foreign?" One classmate asked. "No, he just lived abroad." Another classmate answered. The clowns whispered to each other. Clown number one opened his mouth and yelled, "Hey, he's wearing a ring! Isn't that against school rules?!" The room's mood seemed to darken, "A ring...?" The main teacher looked at Yuma's finger and noticed that he did indeed have a ring. "Oh, right. Accessories are a no-no." The assistant teacher said. All Yuma did in response was a simple hm? The main teacher reached his hand out. "Take it off. Now. I'll hold onto it." Yuma looked up at the main teacher with a duck face, "What..? I can't. Besides, she's wearing a ring too." He pointed at me. I gasped in surprise, "I suppose I am, but I was allowed to by the principal." The main teacher ignored me and questioned Yuma, "What do you mean? Hand it over." He yanked at Yuma's hands, "No, I mean it. For real." Yuma replied. The teacher yelled at Yuma, "ACCESSORIES ARE FORBIDDEN! THOSE ARE THE RULES! YOU'LL HAVE TO FOLLOW THE RULES TO ATTEND THIS SCHOOL!" Yuma had a shock in realization and walked towards the door. "I'll give up then... Sorry for the trouble." The teacher was shocked as well, "HUH?! HEY! Hold on here!" Osamu raised his hand, "Excuse me. Maybe he has a reason why he can't take it off." Yuma and the teachers looked towards Osamu. "A reason..?" The main teacher said while the assistant teacher said, "Mikumo." I raised my hand as well, "It's like how I have a reason why I wear my ring. It's a memento of my family." The clowns chattered, "Four-eyes again. Mr. White Knight." Two of the clowns said. The teacher looked towards Yuma, "What is this ring, anyway?" He questioned. "It's a memento of my father," Yuma said in all seriousness. Two of the clowns talked again, "The manga you confiscated yesterday was a memento of my grandpa! So is the video game you took last week." The main teacher yelled at the clowns, "Quiet over there!" He looked towards Yuma, "Such an excuse is inappropriate..." Yuma's eyes looked more serious, "It's true. It's a memento of my late father." The teacher shivered and sweat dripped down his face. "Fine.. if you say so. Ms. Mizunuma, wait a moment." Ms. Mizunuma said, "Sure. Study hall everyone. Mkumo and Aiko, help Kuga get settled." Yuma grinned at us, he reached out his hand. "Nice to meet you." Osamu shook his hand and said, "Nice to meet you." I shook his hand after Osamu, "Nice to meetcha!" I said with a giant grin. 
Osamu and I helped Yuma get settled, and then we all went and worked on our own things. The classmates surrounded Yuma, "Why is your hair white?" One of the classmates questioned. "It used to be black. Somehow it turned white." Osamu looked towards Yuma with slight sweat going down his face. Suddenly, a roll of paper hit the back of Yuma's head. Yuma rubbed his head and looked back. The clowns looked distracted. They continued throwing paper at Yuma's head. Osamu looked back towards the clowns after noticing the paper. Osamu and I stood up and said, "Hey-" but we were interrupted by Yuma, "Say. What's this? What's your point?" Clown number one repeated some of what Yuma said, "What's this?" He repeated while laughing. Clown number three smirked, "Just a little hello. A japanese welcome." Osamu slammed on the desk, "HEY, CUT IT OUT! YOU SHOULD BE EMBARRASSED." Clown number one once again repeated what someone said. Throwing a manga at Osamu, "I'm not talkin' to you." Clown number three said. "You're embarrassing." Clown number two said. I glared at the both of them, "Shut the fuck up." I cursed. Osamu pushed his glasses up, while Yuma looked serious. "I see. A little hello." Yuma said while rolling up one of the papers. He flicked the paper at clown number three's forehead. I smirked at how much strength was used, clown number three flew back. "Huh?!" Clown number one yelled. Crashing sounds were heard as one of the clowns yelled at Yuma, "What's your problem?!" Yuma grinned, "Hm? Wasn't it just a little hello?" The clowns looked scared, while all the classmates laughed. Osamu looked shocked, while I was just bursting out in laughed. Yuma was grabbed by one of the clowns, "You messing with me, Shrimp?!" Yuma glared at the clown, "Don't make up stupid lies. You wanna be my friend or what?" The clown yelled, "SAY WHAT!?" Osamu said, "You guys..." trying to clear up the action. Ms. Mizunuma walked in, "Hey, we're still in class. Get back to your seats!" I high fived Yuma, "Good job!" I smiled. He grinned back, "Thanks." His grin is always so derpy looking." Osamu let out a sigh of relief.