Chapter 2: The Prisoners

Start from the beginning

I paused when I saw that there were guards stationed at the entrance. Of course, they wouldn't leave the West Castle unguarded. The guards were talking at the corner. I waited for a few beats and managed to run discreetly past them when they were not looking.

The cold air stung my face I ran towards the unguarded gate, huddling my coat closer to keep me warm. I had a guess as to where they were keeping the prisoners—a place that would talk me a fifteen minute-walk from here. If I run, I could make it in ten. I ran. I was good at running, even better than Tarnus. Speaking of Tarnus, where was he? I hadn't seen him since dinner.

I had started running when I heard someone from the inside approaching the gates. I pulled my hood up so no one can see my face as I passed them. There were fewer people on the road. Even from here, I could hear the sound of crashing waves. I reached the pathway near the sea and I couldn't help but look at the vastness. It was eerily dark tonight and I couldn't even find the horizon. Suddenly, I was a little afraid, thinking of the sea at this time of midnight. Were there really sea monsters like what legends say? I tried to push it out of my mind as I reached the place. I was right. It was the prison.

And it was well-guarded.

There were a number of soldiers outside, standing guard. As a prison, it was made to keep people in and not let them out. No one could easily escape its tight security. But coming in from the outside was easy.

I found a horse dragging a load behind. An old man was riding the horse. He was trotting to the direction of the prison and I dared guess that he was on his way inside to deliver something. I ran towards the load and squeezed myself in.

Oh, these are bread! Probably food for the prisoners. I covered myself with the thick cloth used to cover the bread. Tempted by the delicious smell, I decided to take one for me. The old man and his horse passed the guards safely. They seemed to be familiar with them, probably the same person who does this errand every day because they didn't even check his load. I took a peek as we entered the prison. This place was horrible. It was making me feel suffocated and claustrophobic.

I jumped from the load quietly when it turned around a corner. I hid quickly as the man on the horse looked behind him. He might have felt something dropping from his load. I held my breath for a few seconds, waiting if he will turn around. He decided to move when he saw nothing.

My black coat did a good job of concealing me in the darkness. I carefully made my way around. I passed through prison cells. Some of them are asleep. Some were awakened from my quiet steps. Some noticed and were viciously staring at me like with hollow, sleepless eyes. They looked like predators waiting for a prey to come in their dungeon. And despite the bars that cage them, I still felt that they think I was their prey.

I walked straight to the well-secured cell on the innermost part of the place. I recognized it as the cell where they keep the pirates because of the sign saying 'Keep distant and alert.' No one threatens confident security as well as pirates.

I could feel my heart beating hard against my chest as I approached the prison. Even from the darkness of their cells, I could see three unmoving shadows. Two of them were sitting and one of them was languidly standing by the corner.

It was strange to see that kind of stillness that I wondered if they were even breathing at all. I stared at the shadows for the whole minute until I got impatient and stepped a little bit closer to the bars. I was trying to see make out the features of their faces but to no success. The silence and immobility began to scare me and I decided it would be best for me to leave and be satisfied on at least getting a glimpse. Just as I was about to step back, the one standing on the corner moved. The movement had been so sudden that I didn't anticipate it. In a matter of seconds, his hand reached out from across the bar and grabbed my arm.

"Let go of me!" I demanded, horrified. That was when I got a glimpse of him. His face was withered, scarred and dangerous. I had never seen a living creature as scary as him. The other two behind him started to stand up. They moved closer, enough for me to see their faces. The fear froze my bone as I just stood there staring at them open-mouthed. So sea monsters really do exist.

"Did you come for us to taste your beautiful flesh?" The pirate holding my hand asked.

I was too scared to talk at first but I managed to get some words out. "No, I—I was just looking for a person."

They looked puzzled from my question. "And who would it be that is more deserving than us to taste your flesh?" He asked. His voice was the stuff of nightmares.

I couldn't speak again. Fear had completely paralyzed me.

"You should speak when you are asked, young lady," he added as I felt his grip tightened. I think he could cut my arm with his bare hand. Tears welled up in my eyes as I answered

"I was looking for Lord Threy Weston!" I blurted out quickly.

"I don't know that bastard but Weston is a name I shall vanish from this city," he said. He was about to pull me closer when one of the pirates behind him spoke.

"She's taking about The Skull." He said. The name seemed to silence them.

I could suddenly hear footsteps approaching us. I was relieved. I would be saved.

"Lady Primrose!" I recognized Tarnus as he ran to my direction. Worry crossed his face when he saw that one of the pirates was grabbing my arm.

"I could cut this pretty little arm of yours. But I would never risk facing the wrath of The Skull," the pirate seriously and brashly let my arm go.

I almost fainted as Tarnus grabbed me to his chest and wrapped one of his arms protectively around me. He held out his other hand where he was holding a dagger.

"You're safe now," he whispered gently as the other soldiers approached us.