Tell Me What You Think I Shouldn't Do

Reed

The breeze was cool that day, considering the humidity. I had never been to Hope County before that whole mess I got myself in. Hell, I had never been to Montana. But it was something. 

I wasn't exactly close to my sister, and I hadn't seen her since the wedding. I'm not happy to admit it, but I was quite frankly pissed that she was leaving us. By us, I mean me and our parents. Especially at a time like it was. Mom and dad just got divorced, leaving me alone to deal with it. But I have since realized that it's unfair to be angry because she wanted to have a happy life with her husband. I just wanted to see her again, thats all.

I drove down the dirt road, whisteling along to the tune of a good ol' country song. Yes, I like country. Don't judge. My arm hung out of the window, tapping the burning hot metal, taking deep breathes of the day.

I was happy, despite the circumstances. Emre was still missing, probably being tortured by that asshole Jacob Seed, and I was...well, I was alone. I felt scared, and I felt useless, and I felt overwhelmed. I've never covered a story that big. I was usually just a investigative journalist for serious crimes, and yes, I've seen my fair share of blood and dead bodies, but none so mangled you couldn't identify them. It was so screwed up, and it was being done by someone I thought I knew. Someone I took care of! Someone I cared about.

The waving figure of an american flag caught my attention, and I turned into the driveway of the Rye Residence. I pulled up behind one of the cars and turned the keys of the car. The engine made a strange noise before wheezing to sleep and I sighed. I needed a  new car, but God knows I couldn't afford it.

I hopped out of the car, sending a plume of dirt into the air, and slammed the car door shut.

The house was nice. Homey. It was a stereotypical cabin in the woods looking house, without the usual terror produced in a film. Small, potted pink flowers hung from the roof of the front porch, casting long shadows onto the planks. Along the side of the porch were more plants. It made me feel strangely comfortable. I was walking up the steps when the front door flew open, and Nick stumbled out with a damn shotgun.

I threw up my hands in suprise and choked on a breath when I saw Nick's finger twitch at the trigger, before realing who it was.

"What the fuck, Nick?" I shouted, putting my hands down to my heart to feel a fluttering beat.

"Oh Jesus Christ, Reed! You can't just come storming up to our house at a time like this! Your just asking to be shot!" Nick put the shotgun down, breathin' like a maniac.

"Did I hear you right, Nick?" A voice came from inside the house, and I instantly recognized it. Kim.

"Kim? Are you there?" I asked, and the sound of footsteps confirmed my suspicions. Kim popped up at Nick's side and her eyes lit up at the sight of me.

"Reed!" She said, running up to me and throwing herself into my arms. "It's been so long."

I shifted to get into a better position to hug her before realizing something was obstructing me. I looked down and gasped when I saw.

Kim was...she was pregnant.

"You...you're pregnant?" I asked, not knowing how to feel. Why had she never told me? When and how... and now?

"Oh yeah. I'm so sorry we couldn't tell you, but the...you know about whats happening here, right?" She asked. She was obviously flustered, stuttering and reddening.

"Yes, I know what's happening here. Don't you think its a bad time to be having a fucking kid?" I asked. Her eyes widdened, and eyebrowes rose. Her fists curled up into balls and I immediately regretted saying it.