Chapter One

"Tabatha, meet me at the café on Tower Street. 3.30pm on Monday. Don't be late. Hannah."

The smell of freshly ground coffee lingered in the air as I sat opposite Hannah in silence waiting for our coffee's to be brought, an awkward feeling between us.

"Tabby, how was Cornwall?" she asked as the waitress placed two cappuccinos down onto the glass table.

"The weather was beautiful, the scenery like a view of heaven and the clotted cream ice cream was to die for."

"Your mother is worried about you."

I rolled my eyes. "She has no need too."

"Are you sure? You normally get all dressed up for coffee meetings and today you're dressed like you've been sat eating chocolate ice cream for the last week. Have you even let your hair meet a brush?"

"Why, do I embarrass you?"

"Tabby, this isn't you. Your mother and I both know something happened in Cornwall and you know I will get it out of you, so save me the aggro and just tell me what happened?"

"It was nothing," I mumbled into my coffee mug.

"So, something did happen. Go on."

"I made a mistake and I'm paying the price. I will get past it."

"What happened? You know I won't stop asking."

"Something neither of us thought would."

"Tabby you're so secretive. Let me think."

I sat and sipped on my coffee, knowing full well she knew.

"Who was he? I want a name. Where you met. I want all the details."

"I'll give you some details," I smirked. There was no way I was going to tell her every little detail.

"Okay, name and where you met," she smirked back.

"His name was Tom."

"Last name?"

"I don't know it, we never exchanged surnames. We met on Porthaven beach. The family had gone off to Lands End for the day, I didn't fancy it, so I went for a walk on the beach. Do you remember from when we were kids the huge rock fall?"

"I remember, we were playing on the beach when it happened."

"He was sat on the top of the rock fall, just staring out to sea."

"Go on."

"I stopped at the waterfront and watched a costal flight fly over my head. He told me how he wanted to do a flight before he left and that's how we got talking. We met there every day after when the tide was low enough. Meeting him wasn't the mistake though, falling in love with him was. I couldn't bear to be still with him and miles away. I knew I would want to see him every second, I couldn't put up with the pain, so I ended it the day we left Cornwall. The end," I said sarcastically.

"Did you sleep with him?"

I spat my coffee all over the table. "What? No. It wasn't like that. It was innocent and sweet."

"My poor sister, you should have told me sooner. Maybe the other reason I wanted to meet you has more use than I thought."

"In what way?"

"Sounds like you need a distraction for a while."

"I wouldn't say no to that. Maybe then I would stop eating the chocolate ice cream."

Hannah laughed. "I would like you to be my P.A."

My mouth dropped open. "You want me? But I only have a few months experience."

"I know, but I wouldn't want just anybody. I need someone I trust."

"You can trust me, but with this I highly doubt it."

"Tabby, you need to have more faith in yourself."

"I know, I just don't see how I can help you."

"Let me sell it to you at least. My company is opening new offices in London, you and I, if you take the job will be moving there. There will be a pay increase."

"How big an increase?"

"50% more than you do now."

"Wow," I replied impressed.

"I have already found a penthouse flat we can share till you're on your feet, the only problem would be the long hours."

"I can live with that."

"Would you like time to think about it?"

"I don't need any. Where do I sign?"

I smiled as I put the pen to the paper, as Hannah and her lawyer watched.

"Congratulations Tabby," Hannah smiled, offering me a glass of chilled champagne. "Here's to the future."

The walk home was a complete blur. I hadn't been this happy since that walk on the beach. The future was really looking up.

"Dinner's ready," my mother called as I pushed open the front door.

I removed my coat and put it on the hook, taking a deep breath I headed into the dining room.

"Good evening," I smiled sitting down and helping myself to warm bread and butter. "How is everybody?" The whole table looked at me as if I was mad. "What?" I asked, looking from face to face.

"You've cheered up," my father acknowledged.

"Seeing Hannah must have made a difference," my mother observed sitting down next to me. "Was the meet up helpful?"

"It was massively," I answered, heaping mash potato onto my plate. "I got a lot of my chest and she made me a job offer."

"I hope it pays," my father said, taking a bite of his steak.

"It wouldn't matter if it did because I won't be living here." Everybody stopped eating. "I will be moving to London."

My mother and father exchanged looks.

"You won't be going," my mother said without looking at me."

"It's too late. I've already signed the contract. We're heading down to London this weekend to look at the penthouse Hannah has brought and to meet some of her clients."

"I won't repeat myself Tabs, you are not going, contract or no contract."

"I Am Going," I snapped. "For once in my life I'm doing something for me and if you don't like it tough. Just add me to list the list of kids you've disowned because they found their independence." I pushed myself away from the table and stormed off upstairs to start packing.