Prologue

The sand felt different under my feet that morning. I knew I wasn't just saying goodbye to Summer and Cornwall; I was saying goodbye to him too, forever. The waves engulfed my feet as I walked in the early morning surf, each wave soaking the ends of my maxi sundress. Each step made my heartache more. I stopped and watched the water wash over my feet, breathing in the sea air. I lifted my head up and let the warm sunshine onto my face. It had to be done. I couldn't live with him over a hundred miles away and not seeing him everyday. He could no longer be a part of my life. I closed my eyes and let a small tear fall onto my cheek. No tears, it's all for the best I told myself starting the three-mile walk to the rock fall.

Walking around the rockfalls I found him at right where we first met.

"Hey," I smiled shyly, as I picked up the ends of my skirt and climbed onto the rocks.

"I don't want to do this."

"Nor do I, but the summer is over, at least for me, I have to go home."

"I know that baby, but you said forever."

I sat down next to him. "It has to be."

I looked out to sea, lost in my own thoughts for a moment. "I cannot bear seeing you every day."

Wrapping his arm around my waist, he rested his head on my shoulder. "I don't want to lose you."

"I know."

"I love you," he whispered gently.

"Please don't say that."

"It's true."

"I know, but you're making this more difficult."

"Tabby, it's beyond difficult, you are breaking my heart."

"Tom, I'm sorry. I don't want to break your heart anymore than I want to break my own, but you have been the best part of this summer and that's how I want to keep you, a happy summer memory."

We sat in silence for over an hour, sharing long kisses and hugs, quietly saying our goodbyes. When it was time for me to leave, he helped my off the rocks and we walked around the cove hand in hand. Stopping by the edge of the rockfalls he placed his hands onto my waist and pulled me to him one last time. I moved away first and looked into his eyes, his eyes full of sadness and despair. I couldn't look, it hurt too much. Resting our heads together he closed his eyes and breathed in deeply.

"Tabatha," he whispered.

When he opened his eyes again, I was gone.