Rain

"Oh! Hey Shoya. What brings you here?" Yuzuru, Shoko's younger sister answered the door cheerily. It was pretty late in the evening, and rain was falling gently from the sky, landing with a splash on the concrete; but it sounded lively as ever in the Nishimiya's household.

"I came to visit Shoko...and see how she's doing." He becomes more distant with each word.

"Oh. Yeah, little Shoko isn't feeling too good right now." She wasn't too worried about her older sister, though; She knew that she could at least make it through a small cold. Her smile embraced her once her gaze caught hold of what Shoya was holding. He'd brought along some flowers for Shoko, nothing much to it.

"Are those for her?"

"Oh! These..." Shoya looked down. "Uh- these are- yeah, for Shoko." he scratched at his temple very much nervous out of his mind.

"Hm."

"Here!" he handed the bouquet over to the younger girl. "You'll give them to her for me, won't you?"

"Sure."

"I, uh, need to get going. Homework, y'know?" Shoya began to back away mid-sentence.

Yuzuru nods. Homework's always ruining your plans. It's typical knowledge for any young person.

Shoya begins his walk back home, not too far, only a few steps away from the porch, Yuzuru stopped him.

"Hey, Shoya?"

He turns back and hums her question. "Why don't... I walk you home?"

Shoya's gaze fell, but he replies quickly.

"If you're okay with that...I could use some company."

"I don't mind. I need to get out for a second, anyways. Let me just grab my shoes, okay?"

Shoya nods and slowly walks back to the porch. He finds himself entertained with his thoughts once again, but is quickly pulled out of it. Shoya has good days and bad days, he supposed today was a good day, since he at least made an effort to visit Shoko, but, as time went on he started to feel useless again. He didn't get anything accomplished that day.

Tomorrow is a new day. I can try again. With a clean slate.

"Earth to Ishida, hello? Can we head out now?" Yuzuru waves her hand hastily, dangerously close to his face, and she quickly opens her umbrella over their heads.

"Ah, sorry about that. Yeah, let's go." Ishida ducked his head, embarrassed. He never wanted anyone to see him like this, deep in thought. Really, the only people who knew about Shoya's depressive side, were the ones who cared about him most. He couldn't think of a proper way to thank them all- for being there for him through all of the dark times, and the good times. Shoya was truly grateful for that.

But Shoya was okay. He truly was just fine. He was making it. Things weren't as bad as he made them out to be, and he realized that, but he couldn't help it, because that was who he was. Things like picking what's for dinner or what words he'll use when speaking to someone, overwhelms him, as stupid as that sounds.

Now here he was, silently walking beside Yuzuru, who was kind enough to lend him a bit of her time. He appreciated that. He wasn't quite sure why she was being so nice to him.

"Hey, Shoya." she rested a hand on his arm. "You alright, bud?" her gaze softened, but she still focused on the trail ahead of them; she spoke with such concern and considerate questioning. Yuzuru is a nice person, but Shoya couldn't figure out why he never expected this from her.

"Yeah, I'm good."

He smiled gently, and closed his eyes as they went along the trail, the smell of petrichor filled his chest, and the sound of the rain gently crashing against the asphalt around them, and their shoes squeaking in the muddy terrain.

Once he made it home, Yuzuru convinced him to let her hangout for a while. He cursed in his head, but smiled, and agreed; it was the least he could do. The two headed up to his room, and Yuzuru immediately kicked her shoes off into the corner.

"It looks good in here. Done a little more furnishing, did you?" she had a wide toothy grin on her face.

"Nah," Shoya laughed. "It's the same as it's always been."

It was silent for a little while...none of them were sure why.

"And so are you."

Shoya froze. "Huh?"

"Don't act all surprised. I thought you'd changed after all this, but you're just the same old depresso." Yuzuru flopped onto the ground next to Shoya.

"I'm working on myself. I'm trying to be happy again." Shoya cupped his face, letting out an exasperated sigh. "It isn't working."

"Hm." Yuzuru groaned attentively. "I don't know about you, Ishida." she glares with a raised eyebrow.

She stood up again and grabbed her backpack off the bed. "But~ I'm gonna start on my homework now."

So each of them directed all of their attention to their respective projects and nothing more was said.

It's moments like these when Shoya wished he had access to a bridge.

--

Yuzuru packed up her bag and left a few hours later. Shoya had already been fast asleep, tucked away neatly into his futon, and she used only a lamp to get through the last packet of homework.

Something really did puzzle her about him, though. Why have a bed, but sleep on the futon...? And also, if he was in love with Shoko, why didn't he just confess to her already? He has nothing to lose!

He had everything to lose.

His dignity was basically everything he had, and he held onto it, as tight as he could.

--

"Oh! Hey there, Shoko~!" Ueno said, shrilled loudly.

Oh. She was talking to Nishimiya.

[Hello.] Shoko signed back, her dainty, precise hand signals in all their glory. Her gentle smile broke Shoya's heart. She really had no idea, did she?

He watched from down the hall, where Shoko and Ueno stood: in the doorway of their next class. They were a bit early, since hallways always seemed to get crowded in the last few moments before a new class started up again.

Shoko held her hands together in front, and her wavy hair cascades just past her shoulders, and her skirt is looking particularly good on her today, Shoya noticed.

He directed his gaze at Ueno once she began to talk again.

"Wanna come over and study later, Shoko?"

[Sure.] Shoko smiled, and tilted her head. A small, but kind gesture. It really was just part of her character.

So Nishimiya was going to be studying with Ueno later...

Soon the bell rang, and everyone headed into their assigned classrooms. Sadly, Shoya didn't have the same class as Shoko, so he wouldn't be able to question her. What was Ueno planning, he hopelessly wonders...