extended summary

Madelyn Lee and Peter Parker knew better than anybody the sacrifice that comes with being a superhero

Madelyn Lee and Peter Parker knew better than anybody the sacrifice that comes with being a superhero. Madelyn had experienced it up close and personal when her father died in her arms eleven months ago. Prior to his death, Madelyn's life had toppled upside down and inside out when she gained her powers and decided to mask herself every night and do her own part in saving the world.

Of course, you already knew that.

Now, eleven months later, summer was coming to an end. Lance Alvers had officially received his life sentence in prison and the Lees found that they could finally sleep again at night.

If Madelyn had learned anything from the crazy events of the last year, it was that life goes on. As much as it hurt, the world won't pause for a moment to weep with you when your father dies. She had learned to grieve, to heal, to cope, and most importantly, she learned to forgive herself. For the first time in a long time, Madelyn was truly happy in her new life with her new boyfriend, her new job, and her old friends.

What she wasn't prepared for, however, was that there was only more to come. 'Mutant' was a word Madelyn and Peter had grown accustomed to, but neither of the kids took the time to realize that anybody lurking in the shadows would want justice and revenge for what happened to Avalanche. It was only a matter of time before a new villain made an appearance in New York City.

Madelyn lived by the motto, 'life goes on'. She wasn't sure how Peter got by after losing so much, but both of them know now to savor every moment life throws at you, for all of it could be wiped away in less than one second.