Memories and Reminders

Start from the beginning

“Come on, John! We are going to be late!” Olivia shouts to me. I smile at her impatience and how unaware she was of my love. We had been best friends since long before we could remember, and yet she couldn’t seem to see that I was madly in love with her. No, instead she was glued to Kale.

“Calm down, Olive, we will make it in time. Why are you in such a rush anyway?” I ask, but soon realize the answer, and flinch before she even tells me.

“Kale is coming home tonight, and I want to be the first to greet him, now come on!” She cries, waving me over to her car impatiently. My smile sags a little, but I walk over to her brand new car. She had just turned sixteen, while I was seventeen, so I insisted on driving, afraid that she had charmed her way to her driver’s license, instead of actually earning it.

On the way to the old barn, Olivia kept on telling me to go faster, and I kept telling her I didn’t want a ticket. Really, I didn’t want to see Kale. He knew that I loved her, and that I loathed him. He was never around anymore and yet Olivia still stuck with him. It broke my heart to no end to see her cry herself to sleep when she got a letter from him saying he was breaking his promise of returning soon.

“There he is,” she whispered, and hopped out before I had pulled the car to a complete stop. I watched as she jumped into his arms, and kiss him. I almost cried at the sight. I could just feel my heart burning away to nothing but crispy remains.

I couldn’t take it, so I turned the car back on and started to drive off. When I got home, I called and got her voicemail, so I left her a message saying that I had felt sick and that I would bring her car to school the next day.

She didn’t show up for school the whole week, and when she did, she broke down saying he left for good. I didn’t understand when she said that if she had been more forgiving and more understanding, he would have stayed. I didn’t get it, how could anything ever be her fault? She was the sweetest person I knew.

-End Flashback-

“The sweetest,” I whisper to myself. I look up startled to find myself in my classroom, and quickly scan the room for him, my student. Her son.

He flashes me a weird look when I continue to stare at him, but I can’t help it. He doesn’t know that I knew his mother and father. That I loved his mother, and hated his father. He looks so much like Kale and Olivia, that I have had nightmares about him sometimes.

I glance between him and Thalia, and almost gasp. They could be cousins. Maybe that is why she looks so much like Olivia, I tell myself. But I know deep down that it isn’t the reason at all.

-Thalia’s Point Of View-

A note sails onto my desk, and I look up to find a cute guy smiling at me. He had luscious dirty blonde hair, and blue green eyes. I am startled by how close his eyes are to mine. And how close his looks are to mine and my brothers. If you mixed me and my twin together, this boy would be the outcome. He had a mix between both of our hair, freckles like me, a strong jaw like Hayden, and a slight tan like both of us. I smile at him, slightly shocked.

I open the note, and read what it says.

Do you know who Olivia Tyler was?

I quickly scribble a reply and toss it back to him, puzzled.

No, why?

He furrows his eyebrows, and writes a hasty reply, and passing it to me again.

Just curious. Sit with me at lunch?

I read the second sentence twice, not sure if I was reading it correctly. Well I guess the worst he could say if I said sure, would be, Sorry I was just joking. This thought makes me hesitate. What if he does say that? Well then why would he have written it? To make fun of me? Oh, I don’t know!

Um, maybe.

He smiles, when he reads it. He writes something, and then hands it to me again.

Hm, I think I am going to take that as a yes.

I look up at him, bewildered-I have almost no experience with guys- and he mouths to me, ‘See you at lunch’ just as the bell rings. I slowly stand, unsure what to do, before I finally head for the door.

-Mystery Boy-

I toss the new girl the note, and smile at her. The only picture of my mom looks so much like this new girl, Thalia. I was transfixed by her. I don’t actually remember my mother, but Thalia brings up a lot of memories of my family telling me about her. They always said she was beautiful, smart, and so sweet, and that it was so tragic she had to kill herself. I shudder at the thought. It wasn’t her fault, it was the idiot who got her pregnant and then left her. My father. I am so happy he died, and that I never met him, or I would have killed him myself.

I jump when Thalia throws the note back at me. I look down to read her reply.

No why?

Maybe it is just a coincidence that they look alike. I almost cry at the thought. She looks so much like her, but she doesn’t know that. I smile though, and act like it doesn’t bother me, and quickly write back.

--------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading, and remember constructive critisizm is aproved!