Chapter 2 - Nightmares of the Past

Start from the beginning

“What's wrong?” He asked groggily. Finally looking at me, he stared for a moment before realizing what happened. “Erin! Oh my goodness!”

“Before you say anything,” I started. “How about we get some breakfast and get changed?” I asked, getting up and trying to straighten my clothes.

“Sure,” he replied quietly. “Let me grab a change out of the bedroom, I'll go to the bathroom then. You can have some of, uh, some of Jean's old clothes. I actually had set some out for you last night.” He got up and headed to the bedroom. I didn't want to follow, so I waited for him to come back out before heading to change. “I'll see you in the kitchen for breakfast then,” he said absently.

“Alright,” I replied. We ate breakfast in silence. Once we were putting the dishes away, I finally said something. “Are we going to see Pete?”

“Yeah,” he replied. “I'll take you home afterward.”

Pete's POV

I was just finishing my breakfast when Jim and Erin walked in. “Hi, Pete,” they both said quietly.

“Well, well, well! If it isn't the cheerleading squad!” I joked, noticing their mood and the fact Erin sat on one side of the room and Jim stood in the opposite corner. They barely made eye contact!

“How are you this morning, Pete?” Erin asked.

“Me?” I scoffed. “I'm fine! Just a few scratches!”

“Fine?!” Jim suddenly yelled. “Fine like you were yesterday? So fine to the point where you pass out and need to be taken by ambulance to the hospital for emergency surgery? That's how you're doing? I seem to remember someone constantly reminding me that my son would like to have me around as he grows up. Well, maybe he'd like his godfather there too. Did you ever think of that?” With that said, Jim turned on his heel to leave. Looking over his shoulder briefly before leaving, he added, “And today of all days too.”

“Pete? Are you alright?” Erin asked after he left. “You look pale.”

“Wha-” I took a shaky breath. ‘No, it couldn't be!’ I thought. “What day is it?”

“Um, Tuesday,” Erin replied. She got up to look at the calendar on the wall. “The 13th. Why?”

“No, no, no,” I groaned, covering my face with my hands. “Please, go find Jim. I need to talk with him.”

“Alright. I'm not so sure he'll react well to me though.”

“Why not?” I asked. Erin then proceeded to explain what happened last night. Or at least what she knew of it. I held back a chuckle after hearing of their predicament. As much as I thought those two would make a great couple, I also knew Jim had to recover before anything else.

“That’s, uh, quite the situation you found yourselves in,” I noted, still holding back a laugh.

“Yeah, but now he won't really talk to me. What did he mean by 'today of all days’ anyway?”

“Nine months ago, Jim came home to his worst nightmare.”

Flashback - Jim's POV

“See ya later, Pete. Thanks for being my ride today,” I told my partner as I got out of his car.

“No problem! Just let me know if you'll still need me to pick you up tomorrow.” I smiled and promised I'd call him later. Pete pulled away as I headed inside. I was met at the door by Mrs. Child's who'd been watching Jimmy. Jean must have had errands to run.

“Mr. Reed, I'm so sorry,” the older lady said with tears in her eyes.

“What is it, Mrs. Childs? Did something happen to Jimmy?” I asked immediately.