xxi. the renaissance (II)

Start from the beginning

...

It was time. My wife and I have just arrived at the city hall, we were welcomed by the doorman and led us to the concierge area.

I took a peek at Chaeyoung and saw her agitated face, which worried me more. I slid my hands through her wrist and reached down for her fingers and instantly intertwined it with mine. She flinched when she noticed my sudden contact, our eyes met, "Hey, everything will be alright. I'm here." I plastered a calming smile.

Then she reciprocated the same warmth as she held my hand tighter and mouthed a smooth "I love you" under her breath. My inhibitions shattered all at once as I was reminded of the unending love that I have for this woman. I responded an "I love you" back when we were already approaching the elevator.

But then a sudden tall figure taunted my eyes to swivel at the other direction.

I wasn't mistaken. It was him.

Chanyeol.

It was Park Chanyeol. 

He wasn't the nineteen year old naive looking guy anymore who only had his heart for Park Chaeyoung and Fencing, now he's bigger than that. His shoulders were more broad as if he was literally carrying all the riches of his reign, his stance seemed like a impenetrable fortress, and his eyes were meaner than the last time I saw it. But there was still Park Chaeyoung, in his eyes was an immovable dribble of memory. She was still his source of power, but just in a darker and resented form now.

He was walking towards us, gladly Chaeng didn't notice him yet.

It was my time to reprimand him before the meeting. It's the right time to confront him after so many years of avoiding the fear of seeing him face to face. Now the wounds have turned into scars, although the depth of the pain still remained I can handle the intensity now.

When the elevator opened. I rushed my wife to go in, "Uh, you should go ahead. I forgot some of my files in the car. I'll be with you in a sec." I pushed her slightly from her back as her stilettos camped inside the elevator.

"W-what?" Chaeng of course was confused and surprised that she did not had the time to recollect what I've said. "But babe I-" The elevator already closed before my wife could say anything more.

An instant anger cradled my bones, conforming a dark cloud up in my head when I saw Chanyeol walking down the hallway, and has already seen me. The exasperating tap of his shoes against the glossy marble floor has sparked an irate flame at the back of my stomach. Seeing him infuriates me. 

He's dressed so well, face reflecting an impenitent smile, and eyes full of no guilt. After all these years, he never suffered or received any consequences of the death that he had done to Lisa.

I want to peel his skin, gnash his bones, break his ribs, and run over him a thousand times just so he could feel a pinch of the mortifying pain we've been through. Yet he's standing in front of me, unscathed and boastfully looking down on me. I despise his presence a lot.

"Long time, Jen." His voice disgusted my guts. I tried to compose my irritation.

"Yeah, it's been so long that I thought you were dead. But that's just me." I slyly implicated.

He scoffed as a mockery, "You wished ill of me? Now that's just not good."

"Wishing doesn't seem to work for you. You're not in bars now as what I can see." In a click, the ambiance intensified. Long years of remorse, hatred and unsaid contrition had vigor us to this moment. The bitter taste of confrontations.

"Oh, come on!" He scoffed a grunt, his arrogance is intoxicating my skin. "You're still that bitter about a decade old accident. We've moved on, Jen." Chanyeol continued with eyes so stealthy.