thirty five

Chapter Thirty Five
"My brother is dead!"

Tommy had finally arranged a proper boxing match for Bonnie Gold – but Arabella couldn't help but feel suspicious at the timing of it.

Michael had left the hospital a few days ago and was securely in hiding, which definitely should have quelled at least one of Arabella's major worries, except it didn't – not knowing where Michael was actually made her feel even worse. She hadn't even had chance to say goodbye to him properly, and though Polly explained that it was better, and safer, if she had absolutely no idea where Michael was, Arabella still didn't feel reassured. In fact, ever since Luca Changretta had arrived at the hospital the other week, everything had felt unusually strange. Arabella had the feeling that Tommy was plotting something, but, for the life of her, she couldn't figure out what it was.

"Earth to Arabella," Ada waved a hand in front of her face, the action quickly snapping the girl out of her thoughts.

"Sorry." She straightened up, glancing around at the three women stood in the ladies bathroom. Somehow, Arabella needing to use the toilet ended in all of them going.

"Lizzie has some news," Polly repeated, as Ada hoisted herself onto the sink beside Arabella.

"Polly!" Lizzie hissed.

"Well, tell them, now, while the men are screaming for blood." Polly lit up a cigarette, passing a bottle of gin to Ada. "Have a swig, you're going to need it."

Arabella frowned at her comment, looking back towards Lizzie, who shifted slightly uncomfortably on her feet. Ada took a large gulp of the alcohol before handing the bottle to Arabella, who did not waste any time getting it into her system.

"I'm up the duff," Lizzie stated bluntly. "And it's Tommy's."

Arabella choked on her drink, her eyes widening as she stared up at the woman.

"How far gone are you?" Ada asked, mouth still slightly agape in shock.

"If I were going to London I'd be in Coventry," Lizzie responded, leaning back against the wall.

"And are you carrying on past Coventry?" Ada questioned tentatively.

"All the way to fucking Piccadilly Circus," Lizzie responded gleefully.

Arabella began to smile as she glanced over Lizzie's expression, pleased for both her and Tommy. At least something good was finally happening in the family. "Have you found whether she's having a boy or a girl, Pol?" Arabella asked curiously, turning towards the older woman.

"No," Polly replied.

"Go on, then," Ada encouraged her aunt.

Without another word, Polly began to walk over to Lizzie, placing her hands against the woman's breasts. Arabella and Ada both shared a passing look, the former biting back amused giggles. "It's a girl," Polly finally announced with a huge smile. "Call her Ruby. Ruby Shelby. She'll be a star in a Hollywood movie."

"Congratulations," Arabella grinned at Lizzie as Ada hopped down from the sink, the two of them moving to give the woman a hug.

All of a sudden, the door burst open, the noise from the crowd outside growing loud for a second, until the door swung shut, muffling the sound again.

"Hello, Linda." Polly looked over to the blonde woman, who looked less than impressed about where she was. "Welcome to extraordinary general meeting of the Shelby ladies club."

"And Arabella," Arabella felt the need to add, the comment causing Ada to roll her eyes from beside her.

"You'll be a proper Shelby soon enough if Michael finally grows a pair," Ada said quietly, nudging the younger girl.