thirty three

Chapter Thirty Three
"It's you, Michael."

Arabella squirmed uncomfortably, squished tightly between Ada and Isaiah in the back of the Bentley. They were on their way to the hospital to attend one of Tommy's business meetings, and Arabella was very hungover.

"You look terrible," Ada commented, watching her with both a mixture of concern and amusement.

Arabella groaned in response, leaning her heavy head against Isaiah's shoulder. She'd taken Bonnie Gold up on his drinks offer, and ended up getting absolutely plastered.

When Isaiah came knocking on her door in the morning to say they were ready to leave, she'd barely been in bed a few hours. Arabella had eventually dragged herself out of bed, thrown on a dress and left the room without even looking in the mirror. Apparently, that wasn't a great idea, but it was better than getting told off by Polly for being late.

"Been out drinking all night with Aberama's son," Isaiah piped up, teasingly nudging her. He earned a hard slap on his arm in response.

Ada's jaw dropped. "Arabella!"

"What?" She mumbled. "Tommy asked me to."

"Well it's about time you had some fun," Ada said, a grin playing on her lips. "He is quite handsome," she admitted. "So did you..."

"No!" Arabella shook her head firmly, hurriedly dismissing the assumption. "I'm not into him like that. Tommy asked me to get to know him a bit, so I did." She shrugged nonchalantly, lifting her head up from Isaiah's shoulder as the car began to slow to a stop. "He's a nice guy, and he can bloody drink for England, but I'm not interested in him."

"Struggle to keep up, did you?" Isaiah teased.

"No, Isaiah, when it comes to alcohol, I never struggle," she said, patting his shoulder. Ada chuckled, knowing that was very well true. For somebody so small, Arabella sure could drink.

Isaiah moved to open the car door, holding it for Arabella. She stepped out, wobbling a little in her heels, her balance still unsteady from the night before. "Need a hand?"

"I can walk perfectly fine on my own," she told Isaiah, dismissing him with a wave of her hand. His faint laughter could be heard as she stumbled her way towards the hospital entrance, where Lizzie stood waiting for them.

"So, this is just to make things official," Polly began as they started to head into the hospital. Isaiah and the Lee boys lagged a little behind, keeping a close eye on the four women.

"Your official return to the company payroll," Ada affirmed. "So no more talk of New Year's resolutions or Tommy might change his mind."

"What New Year's resolution?" Lizzie asked, the very question on Arabella's mind too.

"Never mind," Ada dismissed.

"I think Ada's trying to tell me to behave myself," Polly said, glancing at her niece.

"Yeah," Ada agreed. "Behave yourself."

"Behave myself or what?" Polly challenged, slowing down. "Behave myself or fucking what?"

Arabella and Lizzie shared an uncomfortable look, whilst Ada sighed, turning to face her aunt. "Ok, Polly, I'll tell you the truth. After your recent troubles, Tommy asked me to keep an eye on you."

"Troubles?" Polly asked in disbelief. "Whilst working for this company, I have killed a man, I have lost a man, I have found a son, I have nearly lost a son, I have nearly lost my own life," she listed. "Now, I will accept my job back, if the terms on offer are favourable, but I will not behave myself." Polly turned away from Ada, striding into Michael's hospital room. Ada glanced at Arabella and Lizzie, her eyes widening in annoyance. "Sorry I'm late," Polly's stated, announcing her presence.