You Are My Favorite "What If?"

[Start from the beginning by going to the profile of rskovach !]

Suzi drove down the dirt road at five miles per hour, swerving to avoid foot deep potholes that would potentially end her Toyota's viability. The road stretched on, growing darker as the trees became thicker and thicker, their leaves blocking out the burning sun. If she didn't know any better, she would think she was driving out here to meet a murderer, not her intended blind date.

Part of her still believed she could be driving toward certain death, but Taren promised he was legit. Suzi just had to go along with it. She survived the first three dates, hadn't she? And Taren had set up more than just one blind date for her. If she didn't live through this one, how could she go to the next?

She came to a parking lot fenced in by wooden logs and stopped at the booth positioned at the entrance. A sign that read donations was taped to the door and a metal box with a narrow slot hung beneath it. She searched around in her purse for some cash, finding two dollars bills and stuffing them in the receptacle. Then she proceeded forward, trying to find a spot in the crowded lot.

She chewed her bottom lip. Here she thought going hiking of all things on the Fourth of July was out of place, but apparently, the rest of the world thought it was a great idea. She finally found an open patch of dirt and pulled in, shutting off her car and closing her eyes. Breathing in, she readied herself. It wouldn't be too bad. She exercised. She was in shape. She wouldn't be huffing and puffing all the way up. She could do this.

Just as she reached for her phone, a tap sounded on her window. She jolted, whipping her head to the side, and seeing a tanned figure peering in at her. His hooded eyes crinkled as a pearly white smile stretched across his face. His very handsome face.

Suzi owed Taren big time.

She reached for the door and he backed up, allowing her to open it. She climbed out, pulling down her hiking shorts so they didn't ride up and accidentally flash him. He got bonus points for averting his gaze as she did so. Once settled she offered him her hand. "Jae, right? I'm Suzi."

Jae took her hand and squeezed it firmly. "It's nice to meet you. You're shorter than I thought you would be."

"I think you're just tall." It was true. Jae stood at least nine inches taller than her. He was also well built, not that she was that surprised. He chose a hike for the date, after all. His arms were muscular and tan, veins meandering up and then out of sight under the sleeves of his t-shirt.

Jae grinned. "Shall we? I want to make it to the top before sunset."

"Be warned, I'm not really a mountain climber. I'm more of a nice stroll down the block and yoga type of person," I told him as we crunched across the pebbles leading to the trailhead.

"Don't worry, this path isn't too bad. I just figured this was better than meeting up in a café and just sitting around. This way there are other things to focus on in case I bore you."

As he walked a few paces ahead, Suzu's gaze was drawn to the muscles in his calf. How often did he work out to be so toned?

"Every other day," he said.

Her eyes widened. "Did I say that out loud?"

He laughed. "Yes."

"I'm sorry. I'm just really impressed," Suzi told him. No use in denying it.

"It took a lot of work to get here," he told her, holding up the rope that sectioned off the trail so she could easily walk under it. "I used to weigh over two hundred and fifty pounds."