Prologue

As was her daily routine, Faith Bennison again opened the large tabletop picture book of Oregon's coastal towns and flipped to page ninety-two, the same page she studied every day. She knew every nuance in the photo—the way the sun reflected golden rays across the ocean at noon, the man fishing on the pier with his little boy beside him, and in the background a couple strolling hand-in-hand toward the end of the pier. Below that picture was another showing the curve of a beach with sunbathers along its shore and a close-up of five children playing in the water. She moved her gaze to the full page photo on page ninety-three showcasing a quaint and lovely town with outdoor cafes, antique shops, art gallery, beauty shop, clock shop, and in the distance, a large Victorian home. The caption below the picture said Downtown Somewhere with Hope Bed & Breakfast in the distance.

Releasing a long sigh, Faith returned her gaze to the man and child. The boy looked to be about eight, the same age her boy would have been had he survived the car accident that also killed his father. Faith traced her fingers over the paper people and swallowed the lump in her throat. For years, she and Hammond had dreamed about moving to a small town on the west coast, but his career, and life in general always got in the way. Now, three years after that terrible accident she was still perusing the same book that had given them such wonderful dreams. She closed her eyes and inhaled slowly, willing herself not to cry, but then suddenly she slammed the book shut and reached for her jacket. She grabbed her purse, pulled out her car keys, and rushed through the kitchen to the garage. Within minutes she was on the freeway and headed for the outskirts of town. At Horizon Cemetery she navigated a winding road and pulled to the curb, and then, following a grassy corridor bordered by graves, strode toward the ones she knew so well. Just as she reached the gravesites of her loved ones, an arrow of lightning streaked across the sky and buckets of water were unleashed. She ignored both and the earsplitting thunder that followed.

Kneeling between the graves she cried out, "I'm going to do it, Hammond and Charlie. I'm going to Somewhere." Another bolt split the sky and thunder rocked the ground. Prostrating her body between the graves in emotional pain, she sobbed, "I have to leave because if I don't, I'll soon be joining you."