17 ~ Another world

Staying silent for so long was hard, I wanted to scream it out after a few days, I didn't know how Theo felt because he couldn't tell me. And I just wanted know what he was thinking so badly.

So when we finally used our voices again, it wasn't until weeks later when we were on solid land again. Our feet touched the sand, the smell of trees ran through our noses and I let out a sigh. We had been living to this moment, with every footstep on the other side of our little room I wanted it all to be over.

Most nights on board I dreamt about having an actual life, one where I had a place to call my home and where I could come every day and just relax. Where I could clear my mind and could just be myself. I dreamt about a home where I could live with Theo, and Shai and Ansel would be just around the corner, we would share diners, and have kids and pets. Those dreams gave me hope to keep going, and not give up.

But when the boat stopped and everyone got off, it wasn't sand that we were standing on, it was cement and it weren't trees our eyes were hooked on, but huge buildings with bright lights.

All of us couldn't stop staring, this wasn't what we had dreamt about but that wasn't a bad thing. We just didn't know this world yet, but I was desperate to find out what was behind these buildings and where people were living.

"Come on, we need to run now" Theo spoke into my ear, his breath fanning my neck.

And that's what we did and it felt like before, me running away from the system, being free but still hunted.

The good thing was, that no one knew us here, they didn't know our faces, never heard of it before. If someone would show a picture of us to them they would answer "I have never seen that person before in my entire life" or something like that, but maybe less dramatic.

Along the way, Theo grabbed my hand and dragged me with him. He noticed I wasn't keeping up with him, my condition wasn't as good as it used to be, I had been sitting still for a very long time, it made me weak.

A head of us were Shai and Ansel running and turning into alleys, they never looked back and they never looked around. I noticed we didn't even got to say goodbye to Theo's friend, we didn't even say thank you. I felt a stab in my chest.

I did notice some things while the world was running past us in a fast pace. There was music, almost everywhere, and even though it was night, there were still a fair amount of people out on the streets. They were dressed in fancy dresses and suits and they were laughing with their friends of loved ones. They all seemed to be so happy while holding bags full of stuff. This world was so different from the one that we lived in.

"I need.. to.. stop" I breathed out, my lungs were hurting and I needed to take a break.

"We can't, we are so close, we need to keep going" Shai said, but I could see that she was tired too.

"Close to where" I said while bending over with my hands on my knees, breathing in and out.

"To the adress that Tim gave us, he told us to be there before midnight, we need to keep going" Right at that moment, we heard yelling and laughter. We ran into an alley to hide, but when the noise became louder we saw that it was only a group of friends, probably all drunk.

"Okay then" I said, "but can we at least just fast walk? I'm not as fit as I used to be" they all agreed and so we did. This time, I got more time to look around. Our surroundings hadn't changed much, but this time, there were houses and some lights were still on, sometimes even a television. These people all lived in luxery, it felt odd.

When it was closed to midnight, we finally got to the place Tim told us about. It was a nice house, almost the same size as all the other houses, and it looked warm and cozy.

I was scared at first, but Theo's hand reassured me, his warmth was calming me down.

Ansel knocked at the door, his bruised knuckles hitting the wood. Not long after, an old lady opened the door, behind her was an old man, he was really tiny.

"come in" she said and smiled and gestured us to come in. When I passed by, she looked at me up and down and said, "you look tired dear" 

Maybe it was normal to trust people so easily in this world, but it wasn't normal to me.