Chapter 4: We Must Be Killers

“I woke up; I was stuck in a dream.

You were there, you were tearing up everything.

We all know how to fake it, baby.

We all know what we’ve done.”

The confusion Lydia felt when she woke up was the most indescribable feeling in the world. She was in her own bed, in her own room with not the slightest idea of how she got there. Everything was a blur, she couldn’t remember passing out. Calvin was driving fast to frighten her, and she could remember him stopping just before the wall. It was only once she told him that she didn’t love Stiles, that she was with him.

            She was still in her dress and most of her foundation was still on her face, though smeared in places, which told her that it was still the same night. One look out her window didn’t do anything, as it was pitch black except for a few dim street-lights. Had Calvin brought her home?

            “Lydia?” Karen knocked gently on her daughter’s bedroom before opening it slowly. “I see you’re finally up.”

            “What happened?” Lydia’s eyes flickered. There was no way she could know the truth about the last few hours, it was impossible. Calvin wouldn’t tell her mom what he did and no one had really been around to witness it.

            “You fell asleep in Calvin’s car while he was driving you home,” Karen explained easily, taking a seat on the end of Lydia’s bed, brushing off some invisible dust. “He brought you upstairs,” she smiled softly. “He seems just like you told me he was. Very polite boy.”

            Lydia nearly winces at the comment. “Right.”

            Karen approaches her daughter now, sadness in her eyes as she places a hand on Lydia’s cheek, brushing over her bright hair. “You’re so grown up.”

            Lydia’s heart swells, but she blinks away the tears that spring to her eyes.

            As Karen moves to leave the room, she stops in the doorway, turning suddenly like she remembered something. “Oh, you might want to call Stiles and Scott back. They’ve been ringing your mobile for hours.”

            “Did something happen?” Lydia can’t help but think of the worst possible scenario. Someone probably died, more than likely a friend.

            “I didn’t answer, and I didn’t want to wake you,” Karen confesses sheepishly. “I took it downstairs so the sound wouldn’t wake you,” she pulls it from her pocket and hands it over.

            “You could’ve just put it on vibrate you know,” Lydia couldn’t help but point out as she scrolls her finger through the list of missed calls. 6 from Scott, 16 from Stiles and 2 from Kira. The only person she can stand to talk to right now is Scott, so she presses her thumb over his picture.

            As Karen closes the door behind her to offer Lydia some privacy, the familiar click of a call being connected draws Lydia’s attention away from the door.

            “Lydia!?” Scott’s voice barks immediately.

            “Scott, is everything okay!?” Her heart leaps.

            “You tell me,” he growls angrily. “Malia and I heard you screaming and we couldn’t find you anywhere. You weren’t answering your phone and we didn’t have Calvin’s number…” he trails off as something more important comes up. “Are you okay?”