Prologue: Troubled Times

Start from the beginning

“Hi!” “Hey hey!” Came Stiles and Malia’s shouts from what Lydia assumed to be the backseat. It was more than likely they were taking Scott’s new car, as it had quickly but surely become his true love.

“That’s nice,” Lydia muttered with a frown. “Where are we going?” She didn’t even want to bother anymore, but she’d already expressed an interest in going. Who knows; maybe she’ll even have a good time? If she was going to start pretending things didn’t bother her, she’d have to act like her post-Allison’s death anxiety didn’t exist anymore either. According to basic psychology, if you force yourself to smile, you can trick your brain into thinking you’re happy. Lydia forced her lips to lift upwards, but felt stupid, so she instead decided psychology was overrated.

“The movies! We could all use a night off.” Great, the perfect place to fifth wheel.

“Nothing scary,” Lydia asked rhetorically, all but telling him she wouldn’t stand for it. She had enough voices in her head as it was. They all suffered from nightmares, and if Scott was smart enough he’d say –

“No,” he told her firmly. “Comedy all the way.”

Lydia nodded, pressing her fingers to her plump scarlet lips. “Okay, I’ll be down in two minutes.”

“Don’t keep us waiting!” Scott told her as he hung-up, leaving Lydia to drown in her closet for another five minutes before she found a simple dress that would bring out her glowing skin and bright strawberry head of hair.

Lydia left her house with a bounce in her step, her hair swinging behind her with a matching peppy expression adorning her face. Judging by the oblivious looks on their faces, she was doing a good job of keeping up appearances. As per usual, she was keeping her emotions to herself, because it was easier for them all. Granted, Scott and Stiles weren’t anxious to share their innermost thoughts, but they at least acknowledged them. Lydia pushed her thoughts away as she pulled open the backdoor to Scott’s car.

“Pippi Longstocking!” Scott teased.

Lydia was about to insult him, but was caught off guard by the proximity of Stiles and Malia.

Malia’s hands were splayed on the seat beside her, completely still as Stiles’ hand covered hers, rubbing his thumb over the back of her hand and swirling it over a small beauty mark near her thumb.

This was a new development; an entirely completely 100% new development. Since when were they a thing? Lydia shook her head at them, pausing in the open door of the car. As always, no one noticed that she hadn’t even gotten in yet. Kira and Scott were rock-paper-scissoring (there has to be a shorter name for that) over which movie they would see.

Finally noticing the other girls hesitation, Malia and Stiles turned their heads to look toward Lydia and followed her shocked line of sight. They immediately jumped apart, pulling their hands away like a child caught with its hand in the cookie jar. Stiles’ face was beat red; he sank into his seat sheepishly, the polyester material squeaking.

Scott glanced back toward his friends. “What are you waiting for, Lyds? Get in.” He took in her flushed appearance. “Are you alright?” He frowned.

"Of course!” She chirped, climbing into the car beside Malia as if nothing had happened. She reached for her buckle, only sparing a look at Malia when locking it into its rightful position.

Scott looked to Kira for her input, wondering if he was the only one detecting a strangeness about Lydia today. She simply shrugged at him, offering a reassuring half-smile.

Malia exposed her teeth to Lydia, in a surprisingly friendly way, somehow having the social skill to pretend she hadn’t done anything hand-holding like with Stiles in a similar fashion as Lydia was. “Your dress is cute.”