Ten

Ten

Head pounding, Lilly sat up on the exam table with Mrs. Langston’s assistance.

“Just a take a moment before you stand,” the doctor’s wife said kindly. “Do you feel dizzy or lightheaded?”

“No,” Lilly replied. “But I do have a terrible headache.”

The other woman gave her hand a gentle squeeze. “That should pass in a day or so.”

“Thank you, Mrs. Langston.”

“Oh, none of that. Call me Marissa, please.” She smiled and leaned in conspiratorially, a sparkle lighting her warm brown eyes. “If you’re up to it, David is waiting to see you. He is beside himself. Craig could scarcely convince him to leave the room.”

Lilly flushed, glancing away from Marissa’s suggestive gaze. A jumbled haze of memories bandied about her head. The attack… Davy cuddling her into his sturdy chest… Had she told him of her love? She couldn’t quite recall…

“Of course I’ll see him.”

Before Marissa could go to the other room and usher the men back, David barreled in, expression haggard. “Lilly!”

Their eyes connected and her heart all but stopped in her chest. Her arms lifted of their own volition, drawn to him with a force of their own.

David closed the distance to the exam table in three long strides as though propelled forward by the same magnetic force. He folded her into his embrace without hesitation or preamble. “I thought I’d lost you.” His face dropped to the curve of her neck and shoulder.

Caught off guard by the impulsive embrace, Lilly wasn’t prepared for the sudden fall of her defenses. Safety, warmth, and welcome washed her from head to toe. She was a strong woman—being of the south in recent years she had to be—but the moment David wrapped his arms around her, she wanted nothing more than to sink into him and weep. She sighed, snuggling deeper and blinking back the sting of threatening tears.

“Let’s give them a moment alone.” Marissa ushered her husband and Curtis out of the room.

Davy rested his chin on top of her head, rubbing her arms with his palms. After a long moment he drew back slightly, searching her face. “You’re well?”

“Yes,” she assured quickly.

“Who did this?”

Lilly shook her head. “I don’t know. I couldn’t see him.”

He glanced briefly away, his grip on her upper arms tightening. When he looked back the familiar stern furrow creased his brow, and a hard edge gilded his eyes. “Damn it, Lilly. What were you thinking to wander about alone?”

She stiffened, a bit of the warmth she’d found in his arms chilling. “I was thinking that I didn’t want to be locked in that filthy cell, and I was hardly wandering about. I was going home.”

“Why didn’t you ask one of the deputies to accompany you?”

“You had them all under orders to keep me locked away. Blame who you will, David, but this time you crossed the line.” The throb behind her right eye intensified, descending down her spinal column, creating a lonely ache in her bones. She wanted to crawl into a deep burrow and sleep.

“If you weren’t so damned intent on fighting me this never would have happened.”

Lilly deflated, hurt and exhausted. “Just go, Davy. There is no reason for you to stay.”