All The Sides to an Alchemist

Start from the beginning

"Why, it's me! Your morality!"

Varian spun around, already late at locating the source of the voice - your nemesis, the source of all your troubles. His feelings.

Varian's morality stood taller than you, and was adorned in the same clothes, yet somehow, they were both brighter, fluffier (even though there was a significant lack of actual fluff) and all in all, he hurt your eyes more than you'd care to admit.

His unbridled joy and boundless energy seemed to power the room - lights brightened and all the discarded chemicals seemed to glow along with him, radiating to his love.

"My... morality?" Varian questioned, skeptical, and looked the boy up and down.

You suddenly felt quite proud of him.

"Why yes! You do have one you know," Morality informed, and it came to your attention that he wasn't even being sarcastic.

Of course he wasn't. Sarcasm required brains.

"So then... why are you here?" Varian asked, and you groaned.

The wall was beginning to look rather tempting.

"Why, I'm here to help you, Sport!" Morality gleamed, bouncing on his toes as he - unfortunately - moved closer, "you've been rather down in the dumps lately."

Varian's eyes flashed dangerously, and Morality stepped backwards scared.

You scoffed. Varian couldn't hurt you, or Morality. However, he could make either of your lives utter hell if he felt so inclined.

Which is why you had to talk some sense into him, which was utterly impossible with Mr. Happy around.

"I wonder why I've been so 'down in the dumps'," Varian spat, mocking Morality with such venom that even you had to reevaluate your stance - which wasn't to say you'd lost your footing, no... more like... tactfully stepped back, to save your hearing.

"Well, there's no need for that," Morality said, crossing his arms and pouting - like an insufferable 2 year old - whilst also, annoyingly, tapping his foot. He was acting like a father, which considering the situation, wasn't the best stance to take.

Morality breathed in and exhaled, his face becoming softer and more welcoming. Gosh darned emotions. They're so manipulative.

"All I meant was, you're sad, and I don't like seeing you sad. So..." He wiggled his fingers, "what'ya gonna do 'bout it?"

You sighed, pinching the bridge of your nose, but Varian wasn't looking at you. He was all too focused on the parading dumbass in front of him.

"What can I do about it. I've tried everything! The amber won't break, he won't-" Varian's voice cracked, and he turned away, the ghost of a sniffle echoing through the lab.

You were highly convinced that he was blinking away tears, which was obviously a side effect of Morality's hold on the boy. He had been here far too long.

"Well, let's go back to the root. Who made you feel this way?" Morality asked, twirling his hands around, perhaps to get Varian's mind moving, which was preposterous! You were his mind, and you were staying still, thank you very much.

"Rapunzel," Varian snarled, almost animalistic, and you're eyes widened. You didn't need to be a prophet to see where this conversation was going, and whether Morality liked it or not, it was going there.

"Okay... so maybe you can, I dunno, talk to her about your feelings?" Morality suggested, and you sighed.

Varian looked over at you.

Okay. Maybe you sighed a bit too loudly.

"What do you suggest I do then, Miss. Logic?" Varian teased, and you felt your chest swell with a need to prove yourself to him; you were the right route to take. He was already on the path to revenge, so why not coax him down it a bit more. That way in the future, he'll realise that Logic - you - were the one that gave him satisfaction, not Morality.

"Rapunzel won't understand, so you have to make her," you suggested, walking closer to the boy and smiling a slightly sadistic smile, teeth and all, "you have to make her understand, Varian."

Varian's face blurred with a single tear that fell down his cheek, but his eyes were bone dry.

"I think I understand," he said, grinning.

Morality fell back, flickering in and out of view, shock and horror painting on his face.

"I have to make her understand."

And with that, Logic became the sole drive in Varian's mind, and all sense of Morality was lost to the wind.