The Binding Potion- Chapter One

Third Person

"Harry couldn't believe it, he just couldn't. Everything had been going so well and then this happens."

Harry Potter had returned for his 8th year at Hogwarts to make up for the year he and his classmates missed out on due to the war. Returning to Hogwarts sparked a lot of emotions in Harry: Excitement, nostalgia, guilt, and fear. The war had scarred Harry and many others. The memories of those who passed were painful to look back on and Harry couldn't shake the feeling that all the casualties of the war were partly his fault. During the summer, Harry fell into a deep depression, where he wallowed in his guilt, fear, and grievances caused by the memories of the war. He barely spoke to anyone, including his friends, and stopped taking care of himself. He stayed all alone in 12 Grimmauld Place, Sirius's old home and the headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix, and let himself begin to rot away. Finally, Hermonie had enough of it and went over to Grimmauld Place to drag Harry out of the house and into a group therapy session called "Freedom from The War". Hermoine had created the group to help witches and wizards recover from their terrible experiences and memories of the war. Harry, originally, had no interest in participating in the group as he felt that no therapy could help him rise from the hole in which he resided. But, to his surprise, it did. The more sessions he attended, the more he felt he could let go of the past and heal. Doubts still resided within him but support from others in the group really helped him. Once the time came for Harry to return to Hogwarts for his 8th year, he felt he was ready to face what was ahead of him. He knew going back to Hogwarts may rouse some memories that he did not want to face, but he also knew that avoiding them wouldn't do him any good either. He knew he had to face his fears as ferociously as he faced Voldemort.

The beginning of the 8th year started off quite well to Harry's surprise. He was surrounded by those who loved and supported him and he did his best to return the favor. He tried very hard to ace all his classes, as he knew he had to if he ever wanted to become an Auror, and he was achieving this task pretty well until it came to Potions. Unlike 6th year, Harry didn't have a cheat sheet for potions and he found he struggled greatly, as he did all the previous years he took the class. The new Potions Professor's name was Professor Warley Leafgally and was quite pleasant compared to Snape, but he still couldn't help Harry at his horrendous dis-talent for the art of potion-making. So, in an attempt to help Harry, Professor Leafgally paired him with the best student in his class: Draco Malfoy. Although Draco and Harry exchanged an unofficial truce to leave each other alone this year, old habits die hard and they found they could not work together if their life depended on it. They constantly bickered and each day they worked together the higher tensions between them became, until one fateful day.

Harry's P.O.V (Monday)

I sigh heavily as I drop down into his seat next to Malfoy in Potions class, wishing I could just disappear instead of having to deal with Malfoy for another project. The blond Slytherin looks as though he is trying to ignore my obvious body language that indicates I don't want to work with him but the twitch in his lips tells me he is already annoyed with me. This isn't going to be pleasant.

"Ok class," Professor Leafgally spoke out, trying to grab everyone's attention ,"today we are working on binding potions. You have made half this potion in 5th year, which involves the physical binding of the two individuals it affects, now you will be furthering this by adding the effect of mental binding alongside the physical bind. Be careful as this potion has no immediate antidote. If you spill, you will be forced to wait out the consequences. Please work with your assigned partners and instructions are on your tables. Begin!"

Immediately pairs all over the room began to work on their projects, quietly assigning each other a task in order to be more efficient. I know that Malfoy and I should be doing the same but something tells me it isn't going to work out like that. Malfoy shoves five jumping beans my way and says

"Potter, take these and slice them into five slices"

I want to argue with him as I can obviously tell he wants to give me the hard task, considering how hard jumping beans are to control, let alone cut, but I clench my teeth and kept my mouth shut in order to not cause trouble. I swipe them out of his hand and began attempting to cut the beans. I succeed after a long 10 minutes before having another task shoved my way while Malfoy criticizes my cutting skills. This process repeats itself before I finally can't take any more of Malfoy's criticisms and I snap,

"If you think this is so easy Malfoy why don't you do it!"

I shove the vile of Honeydew nectar that I am suppose to heat to exactly 190.556°C Malfoy's way before he slaps it away from him.

"No, I can't! I have to continually stir this until the Honeydew is added or the potion will only have the physically binding capability. Just do something right and maybe I won't have to correct your idiocy all the time! Apparently the Golden Boy of the wizarding world isn't as great and smart as he thinks he is."

That is the final straw. I can feel my patience snap at the snide tone of lanky blond's voice and without even thinking I reach out my hand and give him a hard shove. Malfoy falls off his stool while taking down the cauldron with him. Much of the contents spill out onto both of us as we both let out a simultaneous yelp of surprise. Steam from the still hot, but thankfully not boiling, potion fills the air around us and my vision is temporarily blocked. I cough and try to wave away the steam and I can hear Malfoy doing the same. When the steam finally clears I see Malfoy quickly stand up from the corner of my eye, likely to get into a better position to yell at me, before something unexpected happens. As Malfoy stands up, I can feel my right hand being quickly jerked up followed by the rest of my body. I tumble over in surprise and fall directly onto Malfoy as he falls to the ground due to me knocking into him. Before I know it, I have Malfoy pinned under me with one of my knees in between his legs. We both pause due to the shock of the whole situation and I swear I see Malfoys cheeks tinge pink. It's likely from embarrassment, I think to myself. I am awakened from my shock and thoughts when I hear Malfoy hiss from under me:

"Get off of me you prick!"

I quickly scramble to my feet only for Malfoy to be pulled up involuntarily like I had before when he stood up moments ago, but this time we keep our balance and manage to stay on our feet. I notice my arm is slightly elevated and I look down to my hand to see the back of my wrist is connected to Malfoy's. I try to pull away from his hand but his hand seems to follow mine. We both struggle to try and pull our hands apart but it seems as though they are glued together. It isn't long before Professor Leafgally walks to both of us and commands us to follow him in a sharp and annoyed tone. Heads down, we both follow him out of the classroom and to Headmistress Mcgonagall's office without saying a word.