Chapter 6 - November 2004

"Je m'appelle so glad that is over!" Joe groaned as he and Michael exited the door to their French class. It was without a doubt both of their worst subject. "I honestly hate Mrs. Noble and I swear that she hates me."

"She only hates you cause you're an asshole every time we have her," Michael laughed.

"Whatever, I'm just glad it's over. Do you think we can sneak out the side door? That way we might get a better view when everyone else comes out."

"Worth a shot," Mike shrugged.

The two teens made quick work of the stairs and dropped to the ground floor in a bid to be the first ones out the door. Of course, seeing as the last period of the day had just finished, it was highly unlikely that they'd be the only ones thinking the same thing.

Their task became even more challenging when they came across a bright eyed Evelyn, obviously waiting for them.

"Hello boys," She smiled, definitely sounding suspicious.

 "You coming to watch the fight?" Mike asked, grabbing her arm and dragging her along with them down the dim corridor without breaking stride.

"Not again," She sighed. "You know it's going to turn out the same as last time right?"

"I doubt that!" Joe bellowed. "Callum Jones and Jamie Christie properly hate each other. Callum literally slapped him on the back in the P.E changing rooms. It's going to be rough."

Mike then quickly explained to her that this was the reason that they were in such a hurry. Boys will be boys.

"I was hoping you'd actually have changed your mind about joining the astronomy club," Evie asked Michael, knowing full well that Joe wouldn't have.

Though she and Mike were still heavily intrigued by space, their interest had waned a little in the last few years. But that interest had been sparked back into life earlier in the year when it was discovered that Mars had traces of water below its surface. Since then, they'd heard about an astronomy club held after school in the science rooms. Michael though, remained reluctant.

"Still don't want to, Evie. I told you, people are gonna think we're even less cool than we already are."

"So? It'll be fun! It's not like we need to tell anyone!" She cried, swaying her long pigtails, hoping it would do the same for his decision.

"I'd rather watch these two assholes punching the fuck out of each other. Even seeing one of them get hit would be ace."

"Come on Michael! It's just going to be the same as every other fight. They'll swing for each other, run away and then get broken up by a teacher. All for it to be declared a draw and forgotten about the next day!" She pleaded but to no avail.

The fear of missing out the one exception to the rule was too much to change the boys' minds.

"Fine, but I'm going to go and if it's amazing then you're definitely coming next week, deal?" Evie sulked.

"Yep! Sure!" Mike said, waving to her, clearly not listening.

"And you'll both be at my party on Saturday? My dad's cooking the fancy chicken again!"

"We'll be there!" Joe confirmed for them both.

 At least someone was listening.

*

"Do you feel bad about leaving her to go to that shit by herself?" Joe asked as they waited to get out of the now busy side door of the school.

"Nah she'll be fine," He answered without really knowing how he felt about it. "Besides, I'm hoping Stacy is going to be here to watch this wee rumble."