Chapter 4~Finnick

Start from the beginning

Annie gives my hand a squeeze. "I know, but you got through it."

"Yeah, I did."

I look down briefly at Annie. She's staring back with wide, imploring eyes of a deep shade of green. Suddenly I can't bear to look at her any longer and I shift my gaze. She's just so pure and innocent. I don't need to corrupt her. She deserves better.

"Finn?" Annie says worriedly but Luke interrupts her.

"Hey Finnick, you want some more chips?" He holds up a bag of seaweed chips. I got him addicted to them too, at the disbelief of Annie.

"No thanks, and I'm still mad at you for asking Rachel out while I was gone," I tell him. I glare jokingly at him and Luke swallows nervously.

"I know, but the timing felt right. Besides, you taught me well," Luke says.

I scoff and roll my eyes. He sure knows how to suck up. Then Luke holds up a remote control for his video games. I raise my eyebrows at him. And he knows how to distract me. Smart boy.

I know his tactics but I oblige him anyway as I take the controller. I can feel Annie's eyes on me but I keep mine resolutely on the screen and try to ignore the nagging in my mind.

***

After the sun set a long time ago and it was getting late, Mr. Cresta had Annie and Luke begin cleaning up. They protested for a while but eventually followed their father's instructions. I was going to help but I wanted to talk to Mr. Cresta first.

"How are you doing Finnick?" Mr. Cresta asks.

I sit up and stretch a bit. I shrug my shoulders. "Okay."

Mr. Cresta just nods once. I glance at Mags and she just rolls her eyes. They both know I'm lying but don't push me.

As soon as I hear Annie and Luke start washing the dishes in the kitchen, I ask the question I've been meaning to ask all day.

"How was Annie?"

"A lot better than before," Mr. Cresta answers, and I sigh in relief. "I guess she was less afraid about what happened in the Capitol since you two are engaged. She started getting a little unstable at the end but then Mags suggested the party."

I get why. The games lasted a little longer than usual this year because of all of the excitement. Thankfully Mags, Mr. Cresta, and Luke were also out there to look out for Annie. I always feel slightly to blame for how unstable she gets when I'm gone because she knows what I do in the Capitol. However knowing that Annie was fine this time makes me feel so much better.

"Thanks you guys," I tell them.

"Anytime, honey," Mags says with a wide smile. "Now are you just going to sit there and let your fiancé do all of the work?"

"No mam!" I exclaim. I stand up quickly and give her a quick salute.

"Don't 'mam' me. It makes me feel old," Mags protests.

I just shrug with a smirk. Mags' mouth opens in indignation and I scurry out of the room. However I don't make it out before a pillow hits me in the back of the head. That lady has a strong arm.

I help Annie and Luke clean up, but I don't talk much. I can feel the fatigue from the past month catching up to me. I probably only got about four hours of sleep each night I was there.

As we're keeping the dishes Mr. Cresta walks into the kitchen. "Finnick, why don't you stay over tonight?" he asks.

I glance at Annie who's watching me carefully. "Okay, thanks," I say eventually.