"You seem fairly dolled up."

My tone is drier than I intended it. Ori moves to sniff Leo, who looks down with a grin and gives him a good ear scratch.

"You seem rather peeved, Minoru. More than I've ever seen you. I was there when you found out they built your creations out of scale. Even then you didn't seem so unsettled. I just don't know why."

"You do know why. I wrote why."

"You sent a letter?"

"No. The invitation."

The way he stares at me makes me uncomfortable. It's as if he's noticed something small, something out of place, and it's beginning to really bother him. I frown, raising my tea to my lips once again.

"You probably know why even without that."

It's a small phrase, followed by another swallow of bitter heat, but the way Leo glances back with a small frown makes me wonder if something else is going on. Juumonji shifts in his seat, leaning forward a bit and crossing his arms. He hums thoughtfully, his brows furrowing ever so slightly. Why does he have to think so much? It was the last thing we ever discussed.

He doesn't know.

The conclusion is obvious. I set down my tea, staring at him but now without frustration and with a much more careful eye. The handkerchief folded in his suit pocket isn't white or red, typical for marriage. It's green.

"You're not even aware of it... Why everyone has gathered here."

I see the same look I did when I told him the truth about Ori. The pensive, thoughtful expression with steely eyes. He doesn't know, but he suspects. He's suspected for a while something was off.

"It seemed odd for you to attend a gathering that was just a bunch of closed meetings. You don't like people, Minoru. You wouldn't be here unless it was something you deemed important."

Leo turns, walking to stand slightly behind him before speaking. Hiromoto moves to stand so people understand this conversation is now private, though none have come physically close enough to really eavesdrop.

"Somethings always seemed off about the event. Minoru, is there some kind of attack going on?"

"An... attack? No. Not that I'm aware of, or from the Yotsuba anyways. I doubt my brother would allow that, unless you directly opposed my sister."

"Then what brings you so far from the Yotsuba estate?"

"An engagement."

He knows. He's fit all the pieces together, and the way his eyebrows have stopped furrowing tells me he knows exactly all he needs to.

"Between me and Mayumi, no doubt of it."

"Why keep it a secret from you both? Even that seems excessive."

"They know we will oppose it. Mayumi is courting someone else, and while the Saegusa clan is an important ally, I see no need for any further joining."

I feel numb. All this time I felt like he was slipping away, willingly. While instead he's fighting against it without even knowing it, for his own reasons.

"What will you do, now that you know?"

"I will call for a meeting between our families."

"And the guests?"

"I'm sure we'll come up with something convincing."

Something convincing? I can't imagine that will be easy. So many important and unimportant figures in one place, many of which who are highly skilled magic users... If I believed in luck, I'd certainly be wishing him a lot of it. Leo has a quiet conversation with him, one I tune out since it doesn't really have anything to do with me at this point. I gently swirl the tea in my cup, highly aware of Ori moving to sit beside his chair. We get a few pats on the head, before Ori completely lays down and lays his head on his front legs.