Chapter 17

"I'm glad you decided to accept my offer, Saijou."

"No other position made it sound like I'd get a chance to actually do something. Besides, I wanted to get out of the military."

The taller figure turns to face the other standing on the opposite side of the large desk, the shadows of evening's last sun-rays illuminating the microscopic motes of dust. Dust that occurred naturally, of course, as the Juumonji main estate was by no means considered to be in a state other than cleanliness. The head of such a powerful clan speaks again.

"I wanted to talk about that as well... the last attack of Nagano."

The slightly smaller man shifts his weight, as if a heavy pressure had suddenly come to weigh upon him. Green eyes fall to the wood of the side of the desk, and his masculinely mellow voice is perhaps more soft than usual.

"He was right. Never understood it when he said it back then. One spell to shift the suspension of that beast just slightly and the whole thing came tumbling down on us. Forget the wall, forget the mission, forget the war. At that point it was enough to just be able to gasp for air. I remember thinking how stupid it was of them. To not listen to the one who had made it."

"He was a child in their eyes."

"And now? Is he still so incompetent in their eyes, sir?"

A moment of silence, as green raises to meet a deep chocolate gaze so intense it could be confused for a dragon. Both of them, in a small piece of their minds, wondering why the youngest Shiba always seemed to come up in their conversations. Only a moment, a simple half a minute, before both come to a silent agreement.

"Sorry, sir. I don't like to talk about it."

"It's understandable. I cannot imagine the terror you and others endured, but I can say that those who survived returned stronger. This is one reason I offered the position of being my right hand to you. You may not be of any clan, but your honest nature and skills with Fortification magic are more that enough."

"It feels... odd. Stepping into the world of the Ten Master Clans. Um, not that I'm complaining. It's just that I feel like I've almost walked into a cage."

"Hm. Your instincts aren't off. However, you hold the power of one day walking out of this cage. The rest of us must make the cage our own. Enough about that. Let's discuss your duties as my right-hand."

"Yes, sir!"

——————————————————————————

I've grown rather fond of Genro. In a 'I would maybe hesitate a little to take his life if he attacked me' sort of a way. He generally isn't up in my business, seeming to study my habits from a distance in order to serve me better, until a guardian is found for me. For all I know, my aunt could already have chosen one, and they are simply undergoing the training at this very moment.

It's difficult to say, due to the fact that I ignore any and all attempts at communication from my clan. Cousins asking to meet up here and there, older relatives visiting my home and asking for a moment of my time, and yet, of course, not a word from my aunt or siblings. The ones I care about keep the greatest distance.

The greatest of which existing even beyond my own reach.

"Is something bothering you, Master Minoru?"

I look up from my tablet, which is not the one from those years ago, to side-eye Genro as he places a fresh glass of water down where the empty one was a moment ago.

"Regarding...?"

"You simply seemed bothered. You hold a slightly more relaxed expression when you work, normally."

"I was thinking of people."

"People?"

"My people. The people I know, the people I've met, the people that I care about."

"Are those categories? Or are they all the same?"

"A square is a rectangle, but a rectangle is not a square. In a sense, they are all the same to me in the fact that they are my people."

"You speak as if there are many, but I have not noticed you reaching out or keeping contact with anyone."

"Three of them are easily within my reach. My siblings, and my aunt. If I wanted to, getting their attention would take as little energy as simply falling out of this chair. The others are no so easily 'contacted'."

"Those would be the people you've met, then."

"Most of them. There are some exceptions. Those exceptions are too far beyond my reach. Not even Ori alone could speak with them now."

I turn my gaze back to my work, adjusting one of the calculations that was highlighted in the last test run. An aluminum alloy would be lighter and easier to work with after all... just which one?

"Forgive me if this an intrusive question, Master Minoru, but these exceptions... would they have anything to do with your preference of physical characteristics?"

"Genro."

"Yes."

"Are you my guardian?"

"No, I am not."

"Then there is your answer."

I can see, through Ori's eyes that remain on him, that his expression momentarily shifts between confusion, frustration, and then perfectly back to neutrality. I was right after all. He has no interest in truly serving me. He's a vermin, infesting my walls to listen and learn whatever may give him the best chance of coming out on top.

"Kindly ask my aunt of the status of my guardian, Genro. It's about time I weeded my garden."