Chapter Twenty-Three: Psychopaths, the Lot of You

Start from the beginning

Venom had slipped in my tone, I was letting go of my filter, my emotions. I knew I was close to exploding in rage. Not only had they lied to my face about my one friend, but they did it without any remorse. 

"I would undagger her, but for some unknown reason, I don't want her to get her revenge. See, now I'm stuck in a catch twenty-two because if it were me I know I would want to kill Elena too. But, seeing as Elena is my sister, I don't really want my best friend to kill her. So, here I am, taking a page from Dad and Mom's book, and doing something horrible to Rebekah because of the crime of a human." I said, downing my first glass of wine and pouring another. "Which is exactly why I left in the first place. So, I am indulging myself in anything I want to bury the guilt." 

"That's not fair," Elena said sharply. 

At this, I felt something snap inside me. My hands came down on the counter sharply as I glared at my sister. "No, this is entirely fair Elena. Do you want to make adult decisions? Fine! Deal with the fucking consequences then! What you did to Rebekah, was classless, what you did to me was borderline sociopathic. Believe it or not, kidnapping, stabbing people, killing people, it's illegal! I don't think law enforcement gives a shit if they're human or not!" 

"Last night, I watch my little sister consider risking a friends life because she didn't want to invite someone into our house, someone with the power to save our friend. I watched my little brother take the head off a man with no remorse or guilt, barely got to the hospital in time to save our friend!" I shouted at them. My hands were shaking as I vented any emotion I had built up and hidden out. "Then, as if that wasn't enough, I found out that not only did all of you know where my friend was, but that you lied straight to my face with no remorse. You endangered the lives of my family and my friends and my life for fucking revenge!" 

I took in a shuddering breath and my head dropped tiredly. "Klaus deserves-" Stefan started to speak. 

My eyes snapped up and narrowed. "Don't you dare tell me what Klaus deserves, Stefan. They may not have been in Chicago, but I was. I saw it all. Right now, I'm not seeing a difference between Klaus and you guys." 

"Of course there's a difference!" Bonnie said, offended by my comment.

I laughed sourly. "Really, enlighten me. Both of you are using violence and people, with lives, as leverage in some sick game of revenge. Have you ever considered just mourning the people we've lost and calling it good? You fancy yourselves heroes but at the moment, I think the only vampire in this town I would feel safe going to would be Rebekah or Caroline. Ask me what human I would feel comfortable with and I don't think I could give you an answer." 

"That crossed a line!" Bonnie shouted at me, taking a step forward. 

"No, no it fucking didn't Bonnie! What happens when you run out of Klaus' family members to leverage? Huh? Can you promise me, without a doubt, that none of you would use me as leverage? I don't think you can, in fact, Stefan seems pretty hellbent on revenge so if he decides not to eat me, then he might just kill me to get back at Klaus. The rest of you wouldn't save me if it came down to Stefan or me. I don't trust anyone as far as I can throw them at the moment. That's sick!" 

Now there was silence in the house as I breathed heavily, "You want to know the worst part? Even being kidnapped by the man, I knew that I was never in danger. He wouldn't let anything happen to me. I felt safer with the man who has killed my family members than I do right now, in my own house." 

"Then leave." Elena spat at me. 

The room was dead silent.

"I would, Elena, trust me I want to. Unfortunately, that's considered child abuse. If I left, I would have to leave Jeremy in the care of a stable minded adult that I trusted could care for him for the next two years. Do you know anyone like that? I don't right now." I put my glass in the sink. "But, Elena, you know you are eighteen, so if you don't like my adult decisions, you can get out. I'm not required to support you, I'm certainly am not required to go through the emotional turmoil that you all are putting me through right now, and I absolutely do not need to be scared that one day I'll end up like Rebekah, with a knife in my back put there by my sister." 

I moved past the group, gathering my stuff and shrugging my coat on. "If you need anything, I'll be at the grill. Figure out what you want Elena, it's time you stopped playing everyone. At the least, I'm done letting you play me." 

The door slammed behind me. 

I didn't look back. 

It was night time. 

I wasn't quite sure how many drinks I've had, but it was probably too many. 

I think at one point I was shooting vodka. 

On the bright side, whatever reason I was drinking because of was forgotten after my first two rounds of shots of whiskey. I think. I'm not sure. 

It was cold outside, I had lost my coat but my keys weighed heavily in my pocket. I would have to come back in the morning for my car. At the moment, I just wanted to get home. 

I had just reached the neighborhood streets when someone grabbed me. There was a sharp pressure at the back of my neck before everything went black. 

Why was it always me?

A/N: So this was going to be a really long chapter, but I split it in two. Anyways. Europa kinda lost her shit on the scooby gang. I kinda really like when characters who haven't really been emerged in the supernatural but are then thrown in the deep end kinda look around and are all like "You guys are insane" So I did a thing. She was a little harsh, yes, but to be fair, she just faced a lot of trauma in the past 24 hours and just broke. Also, she's 22 and is Elena Gilbert's guardian, she's not supposed to be perfect, she basically got the parenting equivalent of the Defense Against the Dark Arts position. It's cursed.  

But, I am a big fan of sibling bonding and healthy (ish) relationships so I have a cute (ish) thing coming at you soon! I really want to spoil it but I won't I swear. Also, I am so posting this way sooner than I planned to. I was going to make you all wait but then I reminded myself that I had already done that so, it would be mean not to post this. See you all on the flip side! Bye.