xxii. the enlightenment

There was a silent pause from her, like she was hesitant, but eventually I heard her answer. "Oh, them? You can say they're the women that brought Greenwich Village to the epitome of its society."

"What do you mean?"

"The richest and most influential elites of the golden decade. They helped reach the renaissance of the local art, music, and culture that the village needed at that time."Ella stated with a brimming smile. "That was originally a 1965 photograph, but my mother painted that in canvas."

"Is your mother there? The one who painted it?"

"She's right there, sitting with her chin on her hand. She looks intimidating there but that's just her character facade." She huffed off a light giggle probably meddling a reminiscence.

"How about your father?" I continued my questions.

"Oh no. My mother loved a woman. See that lady with the beret above? They both adopted me and raised me together."

"That's amazing, Ella. I'm getting married to a woman, too. It's good to see people from the past still loved who they loved. Amidst the bickering society." I dwelled my appreciation.

"Oh those two love birds were so stubborn that the universe had no choice but to let them be together."

"Funny how I've never heard of them. They seem to be important people in the society."

"Well maybe history intended them to be on the outskirts. Like an unspoken revolt. Burried to protect the wellness of the future. That's what my mom used to say. People live by to serve their purpose, and align the intended fate, regardless if the world has known them or not."

"Should I suppose to know them?"

"Not necessarily, sweetie. They're just portraits now. Let them stay that way. Just a remembrance of a memory." She confided.

"All of your portraits here are beautiful though. Did your mother painted them all?"

"Yes. She spend all the time in the world in creating all of her paintings."

"I wish I could display one in my home. I just genuinely think that it would suit the ambiance of my house. I may not be a gifted painter nor am I in such industry, but I appreciate art a lot, I collect some of them actually."

"If you'd like, my mother has stored all of her unmoved paintings at that studio across the street." She then handed me a rugged silver key. That etched a J in the middle. "You can pick one there, I'll give it to you." She pressed an offer. Too generous of an offer.

"Are you sure?" As doubtful as I was her smile in respond made the assurance.

"I feel like you are the right person to have one of them. I think my mother would agree so." She stated.