Episode 5: Infia's Real Secret

Start from the beginning

"I really don't get it, why is everyone saying that she's clean? It's right there, there's a big burn mark," Lute cried, stepping forward. Victoria gave him a vicious glare, making him a stand down.

"Lute?" Sophitia whispered.

"I really don't get it. It's right there, it's all black with a red mark and everything. Why can't anybody but me see it?" he said desperately. Sophitia watched him for a while and then glanced at Meowstic, surprised to find him doing the same.

Lute... doesn't sound like he's lying. So then, why? she asked herself, tensing up. None of this makes any sense. Yet if I can't figure it out, we all go back to square one!

"Is it because of the nonsense that scrappy little boy is spouting? How long do you intend to keep me here?" Victoria complained. Sophitia growled again while Meowstic tensed up and folded his arms.

"The scanner!" Infia squeaked. Sophitia flinched, but Victoria took that as an opportunity to turn and slap her daughter hard enough to earn a teary flinch.

"Infia!" Lute cried. The Minun managed a glance at him, and then cowered away.

The scanner? Sophitia shivered a bit. Meowstic seemed unaffected by the display as he revealed the device. He pressed a few buttons and then held it up to face Victoria. Would that pick up something we can't see?

There was a moment of silence, all eyes on Meowstic now. He didn't react as he concentrated on his device. Then, with just as unbothered a look, he held the device flat and let it come up with another hologram. This one was of Victoria, highlighted in mostly yellowish colours. Everything was intact except a section by the back of her right wing, which showed red markings.

"The technology doesn't lie, and neither do well-behaved children," Meowstic stated as Victoria's face descended into aggravation. "So, Victoria. Care to explain why my scanner displays damage dealt to you, while our eyes do not?"

There was another lengthy silence, though this time it was muffled by Victoria's continued growls of displeasure. She eventually calmed down, a level, cocky smile of glee gestured on her. She slowly resumed her original pose, guarding her body with one wing. "So you're going to trust that machine over your own eyes. Do I really need to say everything that's wrong with that?"

"Infia. I'd like a testimony from you, please," Meowstic requested.

"We've already established that she can't be trusted. She can't even be honest with herself!" the Spritzee hissed. "What more could you even ask her for?"

Meowstic was quiet for a moment, but he did get the Minun's attention. "You've already lost everything. Your secrets are out, your mother is on trial. Continued lack of cooperation would lead to you both being arrested. Unless you can tell me exactly what happened, that is."

"What happened?" Infia replied.

"You don't need to answer him. You keep your mouth shut and let the adults do the—" Victoria ranted.

"Will you shut up? You're such a villainous parent. I really don't like you!" Sophitia stepped forward. "I don't like the smug guy's reasoning as well, but he is right. If you tell us what actually happened, we can bring this to a close."

"I... I," Infia whimpered and scrunched herself up.

"Think about it this way. Who is more important? Lute or Mum?" Sophitia said, sounding desperate.

"Who in the world raised you? As if that is even a considerable option!" Victoria argued, unable to hide a snicker. "Any well-behaved child would have been raised to value family over friends. Anything less is foolishness. Infia! This is the chance for you to tell them the truth. And don't twist this to fit the agender of that scruffy boy you keep telling me about."