Chapter Sixty Six

Start from the beginning

Kakashi faltered for a second, sifting as if unsure whether to sit back down. He didn't. He narrowed his eye. "Why wouldn't we have a chance? Is he in danger?"

Naruto frowned and looked at Minato. The man just gestured for Naruto to go on and tell him. "Well. . . when I say rescued, I mean he was taken in by a man who. . . isn't really. . . well he's not the best man, I'll leave it at that."

"What- what if he kills Obito? How do you know he hasn't already?" Rin, who had been silent thus far, asked in a small voice.

Naruto turned his gaze on her and met her eyes. "Because he wouldn't do that. He took Obito for a purpose, killing him would be counter productive."

"How do you know all this?" Kakashi asked.

Naruto was quiet, his mind thinking of what to say. He wasn't going to lie, but he wasn't about to tell them the whole, messy, complicated truth either. He selfishly knew it was because he himself wasn't ready for them know. "Because I know this man. He doesn't do anything without reason."

"You know him? How? Who is he?"

Always with hard questions, Naruto thought as he answered him. "Well you should know him too, his name id Madara Uchiha."

Silence. And then, "Isn't he dead?"

"No. Now that's enough questions for tonight. Get some rest and we will discuss the rest of the plan in the morning." his voice and slight glare that accompanied made it clear that they done talking. So the two reluctantly obeyed.

|¤|Ω|¤|

The quarter moon was bright and high in the sky as he jerked awake. His eyes struggled to focus on the figure above him who had just shaken him awake. At first he thought it was Naruto and he was getting ready to be extra grumpy - he was still mad - but then his sharingan caused his vision to sharpen and he saw that it was actually just Minato-Sensei.

"Are you alright?" Minato asked him, concerned.

Kakashi then realized that he was covered in a disgusting sheen of sweat. "Y-yeah." he said, his voice a little broken. The nightmare he was having still played in his head.

"Do you wanna talk about it?"

No. That was Kakashi's first thought. He was about to say so but I guess his mouth disagreed with his brain's decision because next thing he knew he was spilling his guts. He had confided in Minato about his nightmares before, but never this one. This one had always seemed to unnerving to put into words until now.

"There's this dream that I keep having over and over again." he said. "I'm fighting this man in a white mask. I know I'm probably going to die but I keep fighting anyways. He says he doesn't want to kill me yet. He wants to wait until my students get there. I look behind me and there's three people, Naruto and two others called Sasuke and Sakura. While I'm distracted the man stabs me. When I look back at him his mask is gone and I can see his face. . . it's Obito. He isn't even looking at me as he's killing me, he is staring right at Naruto." after saying out loud Kakashi feels strangely better. He looked up from his hands to his sensei who was looking at him impassively. Kakashi wondered why he was so bothered over a dream.

"Are you sure it was Obito?" he asked. Kakashi furrowed his brow and nodded. He didn't see why this was quite relevant. It was just a dream after all.

Minato pursed his lips and nodded. "Do you want to keep watch with me? I switching out with Naruto in an hour, but you can keep me company until then." he offered, knowing Kakashi wouldn't want to go back to sleep.

Kakashi accepted. Despite the company, Minato didn't speak for the rest of the night. An hour passed. And then two. Knowing that Naruto hardly slept, Minato let him be figuring he probably wouldn't sleep for the rest of the mission. Besides, he had some thinking to do.

Kakashi's dream troubled him. Minato knew these dreams were actually memories from Naruto's time's Kakashi. But could this really be a memory? Had that really happened? He couldn't imagine Obito killing Kakashi. There is no way that would ever happen. But Naruto had been hiding something from him. Minato hadn't pried figuring it was probably just personal but couldn't be that important if he had felt okay with omitting it from his summery of the future. But this seemed pretty fricken important. Not just that, but made sense too. He remembered when they first found Naruto in the forest and had taken the risk to bring him back to the village. Half way there he had woken up and when he first laid eyes on Obito his glare was almost feral, like he wanted nothing more than to kill him. And even after that when Minato supposed Naruto had figured out what had happened to him, he took an extra long time to warm up to Obito compared to everyone else.
Minato definitely needed to talk to his son before this mission was over.

***

So some of you asked to see my kittens

So some of you asked to see my kittens. Here they are. That little one in the corner that is shunning it's brothers and sisters is called Leo and he's absolutely adorable.