Chapter 27

New cover by Lillie_Reading1
~~~
"My love! I have a surprise for you!"
Kalian burst into the withdrawing room where Azora sat that morning, embroidering. She laughed to herself as she noticed his boyish grin and messy hair. He was obviously excited and in a hurry.

"Yes my lord?"
Azora rose from her chair, placing the embroidery down on it before curtseying. Kalian grabbed both her hands, kissing them and grinning excitedly.

"I shall have to ignore the fact that you still will not address me in a more familiar way, because I am too excited to show you my surprise."
He exclaimed.

"Well lead the way!"
Azora smiled at him.

He let go of one of her hands, pulling her down the corridors with the remaining one, as the ran and giggled like silly children. They stopped before the doors to the throne room and composed themselves, before entering as a poised and well mannered royal couple.

An easel covered in a sheet was placed on a platform, and as Azora and Kalian took their seats, a tall, lanky man stepped forward.

"It is my pleasure and honour to reveal this painting to your majesties. I hope it is to your standards. "
He said in a foreign accent.

He removed the sheet over the painting in a dramatic way to reveal an exquisite painting of Azora. She gasped in admiration and walked over to the painting. They had gotten every detail of her accurate, maybe too accurate she thought as she chuckled to herself. They included her freckles, her underwear bags, even the small bump in the her otherwise straight nose. Although her flaws were on show, she still looked beautiful. It was a beautiful gift but she realised he was still trying to buy her affection and it hurt her deeply that he did not think she loved him, that her little actions were going unnoticed.

She turned to him with her brows furrowed, and she curtseyed.
"Thank you Kalian for the beautiful gift but I must leave now, I have to attend to our son." she lied.

She turned to leave and walked out to the gardens, collapsing into the grass. She hear footsteps behind her and she shot up to a sitting position. Kalian was there, his face was red and she could tell he was trying not to cry. He kneeled down next to her.

"Was my gift not enough for you?"
He whispered, his voice filled with pain.

Azora laughed.
"Oh you are much stupider than I thought!"
She pulled Kalian closer to her so that his hands were in hers and they were looking into each others eyes.
"The gifts have been more than I could ever ask for but I don't need them! I already love you and Ive tried to tell you for ages!"

Kalians eyes widened.
"You-you love me?"
He pulled her even closer, his arm around her waist and their lips only centimetres away. Tears ran down his cheeks

Azora placed a finger on his cheek to wipe away his tears while they began to run down her own cheeks.
"Of course I love you!"
She exclaimed, whispering.
"I have loved you since... well I don't even know!"
She laughed.

"Oh Azora you don't know how long I have waited for you to say that"
He replied, chuckling with her as she laughed.

"I must agree on that."

And they closed the space between them with a kiss.
~~~
The sun set on the day and the crickets creeked in the distance and Azora and Kalian were in bliss as they lay entangled with each other, doing nothing but watching the scenery of the night after their enjoyable evening.

"Just wondering, what was your favourite gift? "
Kalian said, a sly grin on his face.

"I don't know... The painting was nice."
She sighed.

"Well I know what to get you for your next birthday. "
He chuckled.

Azora smacked his shoulder.
"No I have had more gifts to last a lifetime!"

They both laughed in unison.
"But in all seriousness, I liked it when you offered me to be your equal."
She sighed and paused for a while with a thoughtful facial expression.
"Just one question."

"Hmm?"
Replied Kalian.

"Why did you ignore me on our wedding night?"

Kalian went red in the face and couldnt make eye contact for he was embarrassed.
"I was intimidated by you."

Azora laughed and scoffed.

"No I'm being serious! I was so intimidated by you because you were so tall and beautiful and you wouldn't flirt with me like all the other ladies in waiting and you were so elegant and presented yourself like the perfect leader, much better than me and..."
He took a breath after his ramble and looked into her eyes. Azora smiled wistfully and kissed his cheek.

After that it was silent for a while. Neither one of them needed to say anything, as there was nothing to say but as they both drifted off the sleep, they realised that they were completely and utterly happy, no other moment was this happy.