Friendly Competition

(This is less SonTails, and more Sonic and Co. daily adventures. 2303 words!!!)

Sonic and Tails were taking a few days to relax after beating Eggman once again.

"I got a pocket full of rings." Sonic told Tails one day. "Let's hit the arcade." He suggested.

"This is unusual." Tails was skeptical. "What's the occasion?" He asked.

"No occasion. What, I can't play games with my little buddy?" Sonic teased.

Tails blushed at the little buddy comment. "You can. Let's go." Tails agreed, going ahead of Sonic.

"Oh, no! You're not getting there first!" Sonic sped off.

"Loser buys ice cream!" Tails sped off after him with a laugh.

Once at the arcade, Tails spotted a few of their friends there. Knuckles, Rogue, Vector, Charmy, Big, Amy, and Cream. He didn't feel the need to greet them, as he wanted this day to just him and Sonic, although he also didn't mind a little friendly competition.

"Heya, Ames." Sonic greeted his pink friend.

"Sonic!" Amy shrieked in surprise. "Don't scare me like that!" She caught her heart.

"What say you to some two versus two air hockey?" Sonic suggested, looking at Cream, then Tails.

"Oooh, we are going to wreck you!!" Amy grabbed Cream.

"Amy, what's going on??!" Cream asked as she was dragged to Amy's side, near Sonic and Tails.

"We're going to have a little competition. You and me, versus Sonic and Tails!" Amy sounded pumped.

"Oh. That sounds fun!" Cream smiled, as her chao companion Cheese floated behind her.

The four made their way to the air hockey table. It was a large square, capable of hosting four players. Sonic put in his rings, and the table blew into life. "Chao!" Cheese carried the puck above the middle point. "Chao... chao... chao..." Cheese counted down in his language before dropping the puck dead in the center. "CHAO!" He chirped loudly, before all four friends made a play for the puck.

Cream was the first to hit the puck. Tails guarded, passing the puck to Sonic, who then went for Amy's goal. Amy blocked the puck right back to Sonic, who blocked it to Cream. Cream missed the puck the first go, but hit it weakly on the second attempt, making the puck go slowly to the other side. Tails hit it hard at an angle towards Amy. Amy missed it twice, but caught the puck just before it went in her goal. "Nice one." Amy complimented as she wriggled it back into the playing field.

"This may take a while." Cream noted.

"Okay, first to four points wins." Tails decided.

"Sounds good." Sonic agreed.

"Chao?" Cheese questioned if he should take the puck.

"No, just stay there." Cream answered her pet, as Amy resumed the game.

Amy passed the puck to Cream, who hit it towards Tails. Tails hit it back at an angle, towards Cream. Cream passed it to Amy, who hit it towards Tails. Tails missed, and Amy and Cream scored. "Yes!" Cream gave Amy a high five.

"Not bad, Cream!" Amy congratulated.

Tails gave a smile. "Gotta focus." He placed the puck on the field, passing it to Sonic. Sonic hit it hard, towards Amy. Amy's arm went the other way, missing it completely, giving Sonic and Tails a point. "Nice!" Tails did an arm pump.

"Way to go!" Sonic gave him a high five.

The game went on, and the score was soon tied 3 all. "Match point!" Amy claimed as Cheese hovered with the puck back to the center.