Magical Realms Part One: The Portal

Excerpts from Chapters 14 through 17 of Big Secrets and Big Mysteries - A SonTails Story will be referenced in the beginning of this story. This is a spin-off story of the mysterious relic from those chapters, with slightly changed events.

"This is quite the puzzling artifact." Tails racked his brain. The artifact seemed the change forms from a sphere, to a cube, to a dodecagon, to a pyramid shape. The symbols on it stayed the same, but kept moving to different spots.

"Figure anything yet, pal?" Sonic asked, checking on his two tailed friend.

"Well, the symbols are staying the same, so there's that." Tails informed.

"Making any sense of them?" Sonic asked.

"Well, I count twelve symbols total. Five of them swap out for a different five, but two of them seem to be staying. A symbol of an archway, and what looks like a capital T with four stars around it." Tails referred to his notes.

"Sounds like they're important. Mind if I have a look?" Sonic offered.

"Be my guest." Tails handed the strange object to Sonic. It morphed from an orb shape to a rectangular box shape in Sonic's hands. "Man that feels weird..."

"That shape is new..." Tails noted.

"Can I..." Sonic attempted to moves the symbols manually. "Yes I can!" He moved the symbols recklessly. Once he started doing so, the symbols stopped moving on their own.

"Sonic..." Tails looked worried. "Remember, we have no idea what this thing is capable of. It could be dangerous." He warned.

"Woah!" The T with stars he moved to the right most side of the box began to glow blue.

"What's that mean?" Tails wondered.

"Maybe..." Sonic moved it away from that point and it stopped glowing.

"It's near where it needs to go! It's like hot or cold!" Tails had a Eureka moment. Sonic placed the object in Tails hands. Tails moved it closer to the right edge, and it glowed again. "We're warm." He tried moving it on the other side of the box, but it stayed the same glow. "Hmm." he tried moving it on the top flat edge. It glowed brightly to the point it was almost blinding to look at. It soon stopped glowing and it turned solid, and part of the box turned solid.

"We did something!" Sonic looked happy.

"This thing has weight now." Tails moved it up and down. "If that's where the T goes, what about the archway?" Tails moved the archway symbol to the left top edge of the box shape, and it too glowed brightly before turning solid, and more of the box turning real. "Yes! We found two spots!" Tails celebrated. The top side of the box now had five new symbols, while the bottom side and five new ones as well. Tails noted both sides. "A lightning bolt, a paw print, an arrow pointing right, a harp, and a snowflake on this side..." He spoke what he saw. "A separated yin yang symbol with a dot in the middle of the separation, an icicle, five four pointed stars, a U with a dot in the middle, and an arrow facing left and slight down with what looks like an icicle coming from the middle." He finished.

"That's... a lot to remember." Sonic sighed, holding his head.

"Hold on." Tails retrieved a spiral notebook, and wrote all this down, drawing the symbols to the best of his ability.

"Not bad, buddy." Sonic pat his head.

"Sonic..." Tails blushed lightly. He cleared his thorat. "Gotta focus." The symbols were shrunk together in the middle, waiting to be moved. He tried moving the snowflake symbol first. He moved it to the left most side, no luck. Middle, no luck, but it glowed faintly. "Let's try..." He moved it close to the archway symbol, and it glowed brightly before turning solid, and the box also regained a portion of itself. "Okay! Three down, nine to go!" He celebrated.