Daddy got issues - Donatello

After your parents divorce, your resolution about calling Donnie your first and last was stronger than anytime before. Sure enough voices in your head whispered in your ear every now and then that you were unworthy to be mother, despite the bulge your tummy so clearly had. The voices peeled you down from within, but you worried the least. A child of Donnie and you would without a doubt be an angel. If you worked together, you were confident you could play the roles of great parents. That was a mutual thought between the two of you.

You had thought it was, at least.

Recently, every time you had mention  the baby to Donnie, his kind and confident eyes clouded over. You couldn't tell for sure, why they clouded over, but you were positive that they were. Perhaps Donnie had changed his mind about having a child? Or perhaps he'd just have some other issue with it? Or with you?

It was obvious there was a problem, but to confirm it, there was no ways around it. You had to be forward and ask him. Doing a normal everyday day, you before bedtime went to the Lab and knocked, waiting for your hubby's familiar voice to call out for you. There was never a good time to clear misunderstandings, so rather today than tomorrow. That was your thinking, at least.

"Yeah?" Donnie spoke from behind the door. "C'mon in."

You opened the door and stepped inside. "Sorry, honey, I hope, I'm not interfering?" Smiling sheepishly, as seeing Donnie on his favorite chair surrounded by random gadgets, you approached him and kissed his cheek. "You seem busy."

"(Y/n)-" Your hubby chuckled. "Is there a day where I'm not?"

"Is that upsetting you?"

"Upsetting?" He shook his head. "Good thing, I enjoy having my hands moving. Besides I just need to  configurate two new portals to the security system and update some codes, then I should be alright till tomorrow." Donnie's gaze turned to you confused. "Why Are you asking?"

You shrugged lightly, holding your hand over your arm unsure  "I just tried to guess...." You took a deep breath and continued  "You've seemed down, when I being up the baby lately. I know, we tend to misunderstand things, but I wanted to ask before making a big thing out of it..."

A moment of more confusion followed, till something apparently clicked inside of him. Donnie hesitated at first, but showed you a confirming nod. "You know, I love you, (Y/n). I'd be the happiest turtle on Earth, if we became parents, but-..."

"But?" you repeated lightly.

"But, I have my fears," he stated, a sip of conflict in his voice. "Reproduction between a turtle and a human. Complications are very much to by expected of a hybrid like that."

"Donnie, you're a hybrid, too. You're healthy."

Donnie shook his head again. "It's different. I was mutated as so." His gaze wavered. "I'm fearing, I'll be a awful father, (Y/n). It'll be my fault, if the baby, you give birth to, is damaged. Just because of me; because of my DNA..."

Before the love of your life could go any further with his self-destructive train of thoughts, you wrapped your arms around his broad shoulders tightly "What are you saying, Don? For being a genius, you're really illogical." You separated from him enough, so your eyes could meet. "Your DNA is the only right one for my baby; our baby."

Listening to your words, Donnie bit down on his buttomlip, yet stayed quet.

"And, whether our angel has a turtle tail, turtle shell or a human torso with turtle limps, we'd love it and you'd still be a great dad." A smile found its way to your lips. "I don't care, if our child has six fingers or ten fingers, Donnie. As long as we're happy, nothing elss matters."

At a proximately 3,5 seconds, Donnie somehow managed to hug you, kiss you sweetly and make your heart explode, and fall head over heel for him, all over again. Your breath was taken away and the little creature in your belly apparently felt just as happy as you.  Without a care, you gladly leaned closer into your hubby's hug.

"Thank you, (Y/n), for being the sweetest," he complimented, as holding you close. "I'm not as concerned, but maybe Honeycutt could give us a hint."