Life in the Ghettos

1 year later 

        I was almost 13 when our ghetto was created. Ghettos were to separate Jews from the other people. Every Jew that lived outside of Krakow had to move into the ghetto. No longer could Jews escape so easily. They ‘marked’ us, by making us where the Star of David on our arm. In the middle it said ‘Jude.’ Nazis guarded the streets and Unloaded Jews into the ghetto. I watched from my window since I wasn’t allowed outside anymore. They clutched their belongings in their hands and there were uniforms on them. Teachers, doctors, nurses, policeman and more all filed through the gates and were ordered into homes. The Nazis weren’t friendly at all they pushed them and they even beat some woman in the streets. How could people be so cruel anyway? Silently I prayed that we would be okay, and turned away from the window. My mother had her head down and she didn’t smile often anymore. Leisel wasn’t as cheerful as she used to be and every time I asked her to do something with her she would always brush me off. Jacob couldn’t go to school anymore but he had to go outside still. The reason why my mother feared and never let me go outside was because of Deportations. Deportations were the worst I think they could do. I’ve never been deported but there were rumors that they were death camps. Jews were there to be killed and worked. There were many horrors in the concentration camps. My father and my mother always told me to ignore them, and that they weren’t true; but a small part of me knew they were true. Still we all tried to live normally but it was hard.

        Our ‘leaders’ told us we had to have more than one family in each house. We took in a family of 4. It was a widow and her 3 children. 5 year old Lucille, 8 year old Thomas, and 14 year old Ezekiel. The oldest one had his name ripped right out of the bible. To be honest though I liked the name. He was closest to my age and I actually liked him alot. His blonde hair, his blue eyes, his somewhat toned  physique and his mysterious sweet personality. There was nothing to do so I decided to bounce a ball in the hallway with Ezekiel. "This sucks." I  groaned, tosisng the soccor ball to him. "I know but it's safer in here you don't have to worry about deportations." He replied tossing the ball back. I guess he did have a point. Liesel called my name and I rushed over to her, tears streamed down her face and she gripped onto my shoulders.

        "Elise they got mom and Dad the Nazis deported them." Those words shattered my heart. Tears cascaded down my cheeks and I could no longet control them. I collapsed onto the floor and Ezekiel wrapped his arms around me, trying to comfort me. But I knew even he couldn't comfort me, or make me feel safe. My parents; my family was gone to a death camp, and they weren't coming back.     

   Our house always seemed empty and I was so numb with pain that I couldn’t cry any longer. Not that I was allowed to cry. Now I was thirteen and I couldn’t have a birthday with my friends or family, though I couldn’t complain; I’d rather be allowed to live at 13 instead of being killed the day I aged. Picking up my clothes that were now tight, I got out of the building, walked down the streets of the ghetto, and approached the line to get our rations. Sometimes people at the back of the line didn’t even get food, because there wasn’t enough. “Fire!” A Jewish man called out. Curiously I looked in the distance and black smoke curled in the sky. My heart dropped, for the Hundredth time since the Nazis came here. Our synagogue where we went to worship was engulfed in flames. The Nazis mocked and continued to feed the fire. That’s when I realized, it was Sunday. There were people in the church still. They were murdering Jews in the middle of the Ghetto. I tried to look away but I just couldn’t, and neither could the others. We were frozen in place and then the Nazis burned some other buildings down. My heart shattered as they lit my father’s bakery. “No!” I screamed, but it was muffled by my older brother Jacob. “Shh do you want to get killed?” He hissed guiding me away. “What about the food?” I asked trying to head back. “It’s too late now, we have a curfew.” My stomach growled but I nodded and we made our way back to our home.

        Leisel embraced us and sighed in relief. “Thank God you are all safe.” She said before standing. “Did you get the rations?” She questioned, as Mark and Ezekiel came over. Ezekiel’s family was taken in a deportation so we were the only ones left in this house. Shaking my head Mark ran a hand through his hair. “We should probably-“He was cut off by a knock at the door. “OPEN UP!” A German voice boomed. I shook with fear and Mark rushed over to the door and opened it up. “Anything worth of value hand over to him!” The Nazi demanded pointing over to the Shaky Jew. He did all the calls, and handed over almost anything worth of value to the monsters in order to protect his family. The Jew walked over to our kitchen and started taking the last of our rations, money, jewelry and anything else they could sell. The Nazi came over to my sister and saw her engagement ring.  He slid it off and put it in the bag. “You are lucky today.” The Nazi told us before exiting the room. There were screams on the upper floors and they were being pulled out of their homes to be shipped to the concentration camp. Mark closed the door and locked it, but that didn’t make me feel secure. When the Nazis were defeated that’s when I would feel safe. They could take anything they wanted and nobody bothered to stand up for us simply because they were afraid and we were… Jews.

        It was silent in the house, but there was the occasional gunshot from outside, and a pool of blood. Slowly I went into my parents’ room and scanned the room. Their clothes, jewelry, our photos of them all gone. All I had to remember my parents were memories. Exhaling I walked over to the window and watched as snowflakes floated down and landed on the pavement and sidewalks. Even though it was beautiful, I didn’t believe it would last. Shaking my head I decided to enjoy the snow that filled the sky. Some landed on the window pane and I smiled. How I wish I could go out and play in the snow with my friends, or have a loaf of bread. My stomach growled reminding me that I was empty and I moved over to the bed. Laying down I closed my eyes trying to escape the reality.