Chapter: 5

Chapter 5: Shopping and Friends?

UNEDITED!!!

"Well? Do you kids have anything to say for yourselves?"

I don't think I've ever seen Jacklen as mad as she is right now. I mean, yeah, there was the time when we had the giant taco food fight, and another time when Grant and Quinn came running through the house with muddy shoes on, but not this mad. Her blue eyes were narrowed down on each and every one of us, and I shrunk further back in my seat of the couch.

"Hhm? Anyone?"

There was a cough sound made from the other end of the couch, and Jacklen whipped her head around to find Eli who was attempting to contain a smile. This is not a smiling moment!

"Is something funny that you'd like to share with the family Eli?"

Eli's smile dropped from his face, then he ducked his head down and sulked his shoulders. A second later, his head rose back up and he looked at Jacklen with big, pleading eyes. Oh my god, what is he playing at? He's totally up to something.

"Sorry mom. It's just, Cleo came to us and said she wanted to have a fun night out, so that's what we tried to do. You know, family bonding time. Together. For Cleo."

Freaking Eli! What the heck? Why in the world would he choose me to throw under the bus, oh wait, it's Eli, of course he would do that to me. I watched as Jacklen's eyes softened just a fraction, then she turned her face to me. Oh god, I'm scared. Dear lord Jesus, please-

"Cleo. Is this true?"

Behind Jacklen, I could see Eli and Dillian urging me with their eyes to just go with it, and quite frankly, I think I should. Sighing, I replied

"Yes Jacklen. I'm very sorry, I didn't intend for any of this to happen. It won't happen again."

Jacklen sighed, rubbed her face, then turned to the majority of the family and said

"It's ok. But that doesn't mean I am not initiating any consequences. Other than Jack, Chad, Quinn, Grant and Drake, you are all grounded."

There was a ripple of groans throughout the room, including me. I mean, I only have one week in California, why do I have to be grounded?

"Dallas, you're old enough to realize that sneaking out of the house while your father and I are out is a stupid idea. Blake and Colton, you too" she waved her hand as a sign of dismissal "You may all go now. The kids who are grounded, just go up to your rooms."

We all stood up, and within a minute, we were all rushing to get to our rooms. I feel so bad. Honestly, I really do. Jacklen trusts me, and she seemed so disappointed in everyone. I flopped onto my bed dramatically, but not a minute later, Jacklen's voice came on over the intercom.

"Cleo, can you please come up to my office please."

I guess you can say it was more of an order, rather than a command. Nervously, I made my way up to her office, taking the stairs slowly until I finally made it to the third floor of the house. I reluctantly placed my hand on the door nob, hesitant to walk into her office. With an ounce of courage, I walked in and took a seat in the chair in front of her desk. Jacklen's hands were folded in front of her on the desk, but then, she surprised me when her face pulled up into a wild looking grin. I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion.

"Oh Cleo, don't look so scared of me babydoll, I know for certain that you never went up to Eli and Dillian and actually asked to sneak out! That's absurd! You and I both know that Eli and Dillian are pranksters, especially Eli, and they'll do anything to get out of a 'sit and talk' situation with me."