9

Laura came to pick me up on Thursday to take me to footy training.

Keeping her word, she hadn't told any of the other players about my injury and was leaving that up to me.

I felt my stomach knot as we got closer to the grounds.

As we pulled up, Laura helped me out of the car and into my chair.

"It'll be fine." She told me. "They'll understand.

"I know." I nodded.

As we wheeled into the field I could hear the excited chatter and gossip of the team pre-warm-up.

I missed that.

As we neared them, Riley turned around, confusion flicking across her face as she saw me.

"Long story," I said to her quickly, attracting the attention of my other teammates.

I heard a gasp and the team broke into whispers.

Taking a deep breath a replayed the story once again.

I told them about the accident, about Mitch. I told them about my diagnosis and my injury. I told them that I might never walk again.

I told them I couldn't play football.

They were all kind and sympathetic, but I didn't want kindness and sympathy.

I wanted someone to tell me that it was all a dream, that I would wake up and everything would be back to normal. That I could walk and play football and Mitch would be waiting for me back at home.

But nobody said that.
..................................................................

After dealing with the sympathy if my teammates for the past hour, Laura went to get a drink and I was just left with the coach.

He looked at me before speaking.

"The team is really going to miss you, Frankie."

"Thanks," I whispered in reply, unsure what else to say.

"I was wondering..." He started awkwardly. "There was something that myself and the club wanted to ask you.

I stared at him in confusion.

"You see." He grinned "There are a few things I've been hiding as well. My wife is 8 weeks pregnant."

"Congratulations!" I said truly happy for him.

"That's where you come in. I can't coach and help my wife with the baby, so I will be stepping down immediately. Would you be interested in becoming a coach? I put in a few good words about you, and despite your age, they think you are the perfect candidate for the spot."

I squealed in delight and wrapped my arms around him.

"Is that a yes?"

"Definitely," I replied.

He hugged me back. "You start next week on Tuesday for training. If you need any help I'm just a phone call away. You are going to be the best coach they've ever had."

..................................................................

Laura dropped me back home, practically buzzing with excitement after I told her about the coaching offer.

As I wheeled into the house, Holden came up behind me.

"Hey," I said rubbing my shoulders. "How was it."

I just grinned maniacally at him.

"What?!" He laughed.

"I got offered a coaching spot."

Holdens' mouth dropped open. "No way!" He laughed.

"Yes way!" I giggled in return.

"Oh my god, Frankie! I'm so proud of you. That's so amazing!"

"I know!" I screamed excitedly.

I grabbed his head and pulled his lips to mine as he kissed me back. I breathed in his scent, immediately relaxing and pulling him closer.

"I was going to go get some cake." He whispered against my lips. "Wanna come?"

I pulled away from him and grinned. "Was that even a real question?"

He shrugged. "Probably not. I had no doubt what you're answer would be. Let's go."

He wheeled me into the kitchen and I reached over to grab the biggest slice of cake.

Holden frowned at me dramatically. "That was my cake."

"Snoozers are losers," I mumbled, my mouth full of cake.

"Winners are grinners" He replied.

"What?" I asked. "You lost, how does that make any sense in the..."

I stopped dead as Holden smashed his slice of cake into my face. I stared at him caught off guard then started to laugh. I slowly wiped the cake off my face before picking up another slice of cake of the table, maintains eye contact with Holden.

He wiggled his eyebrows and I allowed him a small mischievous smile.

And I launched it straight at him.

Squealing, he sidestepped and the cake narrowly missed his face, instead hitting Vic as he walked into the room.

Vic looked up at us and the miss of the room with a shocked looked on his face.

And Holden and I burst into fits of laughter.

..................................................................

"His face!" I giggled as we joked about today's earlier events to Maya.

"Absolutely priceless." Holden agreed.
"He had no idea what to say."

Maya laughed, but then turned serious. "Vic and I had something we wanted to ask you."

"Go ahead, Mum." Holden prompted.

"Well and the accident, we have been running a little short of money."

I felt my cheeks redden. Spinal injuries are not cheap.

"We've been offered to plan an event up in Queensland for this weekend. I know it's short notice, but the money is really good."

Maya and Vic ran an event planning business and would often have to travel, but it was clear that they had both been avoiding it since the accident.

"We'll be fine," I told her.

"I know you will." She sighed. "But we both feel awful about not being here for your physio dear."

"It's not a problem," I assured.

"What if they need us or you need us.."

Holden interrupted her. "I'll look after her Mum. It will be fine."

"I know you will. Out plane flies out tomorrow morning. Can you get her to her appointment in the afternoon?"

Holden paled but nodded. He had been trying to keep driving to the minimum since the accident.

I placed my hand on his shoulder and looked back over at Maya. "Don't worry about us. Have a good time soaking in some sun!"

She nodded vaguely, staring at Holden with a concerned expression.

"Okay." She agreed.