Chapter 6: Have Mercy

Start from the beginning

I knew her Father wasn't going to care much about the boyfriend part but her mother most definitely was. Her mother was a strict Catholic, born and raised and Amir who is an Afghani by blood but born in Israel at a refugee camp was a Jew.

But the part that worries me the most is the college drop out part. Her father came from wealth whereas her mother married into it. That's why her mother has always been persistent that Lace works hard in her education so she never has to rely on a man.

But Lace didn't see herself doing anything but walking the runway, designing dresses and someday hosting her own fashion show.

She told me she's going to invite Amir to the birthday dinner next week and introduce him to her parents. That way revealing everything at once wont give her parents a lot of time to overreact.

That night I send a prayer for God to send guidance and love to Lace.

***

The whole next day at work Jimmy doesn't say a word to me. He could barely even look me in the eyes for 10 seconds without looking away. He didn't even say anything when I told him I will be leaving early today.

I check my watch, 11:30.

"Ugghh!"

I couldn't choose between a yellow sundress with a pair of sandals or jeans, shorts and flip flops.

Giovanni hadn't told me where he was taking me so I went with my best judgment and chose the Yellow sundress with strappy sandals.

I grab some As I am leave-in conditioner and work it into my hair because I want my hair down.

My phone lights up as I spray some perfume on.

Giovanni: I'm here

Sophia: Your early

Giovanni: It's 12 on the dot

Sophia: But I run on CPT so I thought 12 o'clock would be 12:30 or something:)

Giovanni: Your not ready?

Sophia: I'm just kidding come on up I'll let you in

I laugh out loud because I actually hate running late. A knock comes from the door and I put my lip gloss down to let him in.

"You look beautiful" he kisses the back of my hand and hands me flowers.

I blush as I take them then smell into the roses.

He chuckles, "Your the first girl that's actually smelled flowers I gave them".

I look up at him shocked, "They probably weren't from Earth. Maybe Aliens?"

He taps my cheek with a finger, "They definitely weren't down to Earth like a Miss I know".

I turn around as an excuse for my hot face, "Let me grab my purse then we can go".

***

Giovanni takes me to a winery where they also have different chocolate to taste. Although I'm not huge on alcoholic drinks but a little wine has never hurt anybody. I can't lie I thought it would be boring when we first arrived but I was having a lot of fun now.

Giovanni leads me outside to the back where a picnic blanket and a basket of fruit is set up. I sit where I can look out to the miles of land and the small pond and Giovanni lays down parallel across from me.

A worker comes forward setting down two glasses of wine.

I shake my head, "Oh no thank you, I really need to stop now".

Giovanni hands him his glass a swell, "Bring me Scotch".

The man Nods, "Right away boss".

I stretch out my legs laying them on across Giovanni's lap, "So when were you going to tell me you own this place?"

He chuckles, "I planned on getting you too tipsy to ask but sadly I have failed".

I laugh as well, "Trust me dear, nothing gets passed me easily"

"So your the observant type eh?"

I nod taking a bite of a strawberry, "And let me guess, your the 'humble' type?"

He flicks my big toe, "I consider myself as such".

"Let's go down to the pond", I jump to my feet tugging on his hand.

He looks at me like I'm crazy, "It's just water Sophia".

I shrug my shoulders and I head to the pond feeling the soft grass and earth bellow me as I walk.

The pond most definitely looks like it had some landscaping done but not a lot that it didn't take away from the beautiful nature of it. I step into the water watching tadpole's swim around my feet.

"Get out of the water!"

I whip my head around to see an older looking worker charging at me.

I get out of the pond and try to explain to him, "I'm sorry-".

"No one is allowed to come back here! Who let you back?"

"Oh I-"

"Shut the fuck Up! I will have you dragged out by security", he grabs my arm his nails digging into my skin as he yanks me away from the pond.

"I don't think that will be necessary".

We both turn to see a stone faced Giovanni, "Not necessary at all".

The man looses color in his face, "Boss, it's your orders that no one is to be back here so I-".

"Release her".

The man releases my hand, "I sincerely appoligize Miss I did not know".

Gio turns back to me, "Sophia go back up and put on your shoes".

I know what's about to happen. The man know's what's about to happen. Giovanni is going to fire the man but he doesn't want me around while he does it.

And although I should be happy because of how the man treated me, my heart hurts for him. He was only doing his job, he didn't know I came with Giovanni.

I turn to the pale looking guy, "It's alright sir, It wasn't your fault, you were only doing your job. Giovanni should be proud to have a man like you in his staff, A man that can do the job right".

I was stretching it and pushing to far for Giovanni's liking cause his grey eye's gave me a look. I Smile at the man who grabs my hand and repeatedly kisses it.

"Again I apologize Miss forgive me".

I pull my wet hand away, "You have long since been forgiven Sir. And please, call me Sophia".

He nods, his head still down, "May God bless you and I'm Diego".

"Well then Diego we're about to leave but It would be a pleasure to see you when I return next time, yes?"

He smiles hopefully, "The pleasure would be all mine".

I tiptoe to Giovanni and whisper 'Please' in his ear and play it off with a kiss on his cheek.

Thoughts on Mrs. Santayana?

Remember to Vote :)