↳ i.

i. dig - dug.
I'll give you ten bucks if you beat my score.

━━ ✧˖*°࿐

━━ ✧˖*°࿐

Alice's black car screeched to a halt as she parked it just outside the arcade palace — one of her favourite places to exist. She was well aware of the fact that she was missing her class, but for this moment, it was very much worth it; even though her father wouldn't be very happy at this news. He didn't need to know that she bunked one school day in her entire life. She came here frequently, after school and on holidays to play video games, even though she got nasty looks because of it. But she knew it was only because she was that good. The boys — Mike, Will, Dustin and Lucas; or the group of rather smart kids who contributed to kill the inter dimensional creature that invaded Hawkins last year — often healthily competed with her and they could never beat her score, even once in their entire lives. She teased them because of it and they just shrugged it off, pulling the 'we just want you to win,' card.

As she got out, adjusting her black - framed glasses and then her black jumpsuit that she'd been gifted by Nancy on her birthday last year. She slid the car keys into her pocket and rolled up the sleeves of her white sweater that she was wearing underneath. The weather was comfortable and just the right amount of cold, but when she walked in a warm breeze enveloped her. She quickly made her way to the very first video game she was about to play, and as she tied her smooth blonde hair into a ponytail, she heard a familiar voice. "I'm really getting tired of seeing you around here, all the time."

"Yet you never get tired of stuffing your mouth with cheetos, all the time." She mocked his tone, and that statement shut him up as he scoffed and made his way to a petite redhead who looked not a year older than thirteen. She'd just entered, and had an unpleasant scowl on her face as she asked Keith for help, "Are there any cool games I can play here?" The two were in Alice's earshot as she'd already beat level one of the game she was playing, but didn't look away from the crucial stage of the game.

Keith directed the girl to a game called 'dig - dug,' which was one of Alice's favourites; including the one she was playing currently. Speaking of which, she was happily yelling and jumping like a five - year - old child which obviously was a signal to the entire arcade that she'd won with the highest score there ever could be. She let out a relieved sigh as she turned to look at the redhead from before, who was giving her a judgmental glance before she went back to playing her respective video game. Alice's smile faltered when she noticed what it was, and glared at Keith who was munching on his cheetos like he usually did, leaning on the counter just beside her.

"Keith, I was going to play that!" She groaned, gesturing towards dig - dug and how she was going to go at it next. He looked at her with pure disinterest as he replied, crumbs of the snacks falling from his mouth. Alice cringed in disgust as he talked. "But you weren't."

"Yeah, but I was gonna!"

"Whatever."

She rolled her eyes, and made her way to the petite girl who looked as into the game as ever. It was like looking in a mirror. She patiently waited for her to finish as she started with another game just beside her. She finished it as quickly as she started, and a rather fascinated look by the redhead this time. It was way better than the scowl. "You're really good at that."

The blonde smiled, "Thanks. You look like you're pretty good at that too. It's actually one of my favourite games here. What's your name?"

"Max."

Alice's tall frame looked down on the girl as she leaned on the machine with a small smile on her face. She'd always loved making new friends, regardless of them being extremely young, and considering she'd befriended four small boys in the time of a rising threat, that fact had proved to be completely true. "I'm Alice."

"That's a nice name." They exchanged smiles as Alice jokingly commented but only with a hint of seriousness because she was competitive, "I'll give you ten bucks if you beat my highest score on that."

Max cocked a brow, shifting her glances between the screen and her new blonde friend standing in front of her. She smirked as she read off the screen, "Are you 'champion101', Alice?" She snickered at name but Alice just nodded in response. "Well, then. I'd like my ten bucks now."

The previous cocky expression she had was gone, replaced by a frown. She turned to look at the screen and when she saw 'Madmax' above her own username, she pursed her lips. Both her eyebrows were raised and her eyes were wide with realisation, as Max just chuckled at her face. "I got my ass beat at dig - dug by a thirteen - year - old?" Max laughed at her serious tone.

"I don't see my ten bucks anywhere."

"Alright," Alice huffed, rolling her eyes while taking out ten bucks from her wallet and handed it to Max. She mentally cursed at herself for losing to a kid who was a stranger a couple of minutes ago. This was a situation she could've avoided getting into, but being the oblivious chick that she was, of course she had to. "There's ten bucks I'm never gonna see again."

"What if," Max started, with a playful expression on her face. "You could earn this money you so foolishly lost for no reason, back?"

Alice cocked a brow and smirked, knowing damn well she wasn't going to let a kid get away with her money this time. "Careful, kid. I'm an expert at this game." Max rolled her eyes, "Not much of an expert seeing that I beat your score, champion101." She mocked, as Alice's eyes widened playfully. "Oh, okay. Save the trash talk for middle school. You're on."

"By all means."

And so the two competed relentlessly against each other, losing track of time. At last, when Keith not so politely informed them that he had to close the place down, Alice squealed with happiness making faces at the girl who had a contradictory expression on her face as of now. She rolled her eyes and scoffed as the blonde stuck out her hand, signalling that she wanted her money back as Max handed her the ten dollar bill. "You mess with champion101, you get a bitter taste of defeat." The blonde dramatically put it, pushing her hair out of her face. "Whatever."

The pair finally got out, and Keith locked the doors in relief. Max waited outside while Alice walked towards her car, unlocking it. She turned to her friend, "Do you need me to drop you somewhere?"

"No, I –" the girl was cut off by a blue car halting right in front of the arcade, making a loud noise while doing so. She shot her a half - hearted smile as she whispered, "that's my ride. Thanks, though."

"Get inside the damn car, Max!" A masculine voice yelled from the car, and when Alice bent a little to see who it was, she didn't recognise him. She'd never seen him before — maybe he was new. His hair looked dirty blonde, long and messy as a cigarette hung loosely from his lips. Before she could look away, he caught her eye and his scowl changed into a smirk. As Max got into the car, he asked her, "Who's your friend? Care to introduce me?"

"She's no one, Billy. Can we please just go now?" His expression hardened as he rolled his eyes and his eyes snapped ahead of him. The two drove off rather quickly, disappearing from eye sight. Alice just cocked a brow but shook her head, got into her car, put the keys in the ignition and drove off herself.

— vote and comment!