Chapter 21

Chapter 21

“What the hell is wrong with that woman?” I growled, tossing my backpack over my shoulder. The cool wind slapped against my face as Drake and I trundled down the sidewalk. It felt nice to be far from the drama back in school, especially Lucy and the other students. I finally had some time to be alone with Drake. We chatted quietly amongst ourselves with our fingers laced together. It felt so calm, peaceful, and perfect, until I brought up Miss. Estrange.

                “She obviously isn’t the…kindest one, I’ll admit.” Drake mumbled quietly. Clearly he was uninterested in the entire conversation, but I couldn’t let it go. I wasn’t going to pretend that nothing happened between Miss. Estrange and I.

                “You’ve got that right.” I murmured.

                Drake scratched his chin skittishly. “Hey, Lila…I’ve got something to tell you.”

                I took a deep breath, preparing myself for the bad news. What happened, did Lucy make a move on him? I chuckled forcefully. “What—what is it?”

                He groaned, clenched and unclenched his fists awkwardly. “It’s something about Mrs—Miss Estrange.”

                I frowned. “I already knew that she’s an evil witch, so don’t bother reminding me.”

                “No, no, it’s not that.” Drake shook his head, “She’s…Lucy’s stepmother.”

                I fell silent. I found myself standing there, staring blankly out in front of me. Well, no wonder the woman was being such a jerk to me, Lucy probably told her about me! I bet Lucy turned Miss. Estrange against me, and ordered her to tell me to stay away from Drake. I sighed and rolled my eyes. “Well, I have to say I’m not that shocked,” I confessed, “Lucy’s very manipulative.”

                It was Drake that chuckled this time. “Yeah, I believe you. I feel kind of bad for you, Lila. You have to sit right in front of her.”

                “Unfortunately.”

                “Now come on, let’s not worry about her.” Drake suggested, a flirty smile pinned to his face. I craned my head to the side to look at him, and I instantly forgot about Miss. Estrange. I relaxed, focusing only on Drake. “You should be excited for tonight,” He pointed out, “because we have a date.” He pulled me closer to him and hugged me tightly.

                My face was pressed against his chest, and I grinned. My heart suddenly sped up, and I attempted to control myself. “You’re amazing, Drake,” I grumbled into his shirt, “you know that?”

                Drake squeezed me against him, and I could feel his heart beating in his chest. “I do now,” He joked, “Come on. I’m hungry for a shake. What about you?” I nodded and he released me. He grabbed my hand again and we continued on to Culvers.

                A few minutes later, we were sitting in a booth across from each other with chocolate shakes resting on the table in front of us. Drake, as I anticipated, finished his in about a minute. I, though, wanted to take my time. By the time he was done I was not even halfway through mine.

                I thought about everything that had been occurring lately—Billy, Miss. Estrange, Lucy, William—and I couldn’t stop myself. After a while I became angry. Why did Lucy and Miss. Estrange have to be such jerks? How could my mother love someone else other than Dad? How could she cheat on him? Why was I living in hell?