Time Isn't An Ally [Chapter 9]

Start from the beginning

It was too late when I realised what I was doing.

Kelsey's POV

"Wow, that really does sound kind of horrible," I muttered into the phone whilst hanging upside down off the edge of my bed.

"I know right?" Nancy replied, "I just don't know what to do!"

"Okay girl, so, has he noticed you yet?"

"I... I don't know!" Nancy made a sound of frustration; she got worked up so easily.

"Nancy, honey. I'm good friend with him, want me to talk to him?" I asked in a soft tone.

I heard her sniffle; she was crying over Jared? What? "Yes, please."

"Okay, I'll call you back when I've sorted something, yeah?"

"Okay!" she squealed. "Ciao!" Click. The call ended and I threw my phone on my bed and turned to Jared.

"Well?" he asked nervously. I smiled, watching him fidget. He fumbled with his fingers; first placing them in his lap, then running them through his hair, and then finishing by balling them into fists.

"She definitely likes you, what did I tell you?!" I threw a pillow at him and his stupidity. It hit him in the face. Seriously, boys these days; getting girls to ask other girls what they think of him. What are we, messengers? I don't think so!

"Okay," he said, taking a deep breath and sighing heavily. He looked at me, his eyes widening slightly. "Now what?"

"Now what? Are you stupid?! Talk to her!" I yelled, throwing my phone at him. Thank God he caught it - that boy would be dead if he didn't. He looked at it, unlocking it and just staring at it.

"I don't think...." he trailed off.

"Hurry up and grow a pair! I don't have all day to spend on matchmaking!" I yelled, laying down on my bed.

He eventually called her. It went well, I think. He laughed a lot and I heard her shrill laugh from the other end of the call.

"I'll see you tomorrow night then?" he asked. She obviously agreed, because he grinned. He then said his goodbyes and ended the call. He handed me the phone and we sat in silence for a few minutes.

"Went well?" I eventually asked. He smiled and nodded.

"Very, we have a date." He grinned at me; a pure, happy grin.

Jared's POV

I sat with Kelsey for the rest of the night, laughing and joking; play fighting and throwing stuff at each other - like friends should. Whichever idiot said girls and guys can't be friends needs to sit the fuck down and re-evaluate his life.

It was later that night when we were layed on the bed, her head on my chest and my hand on her hair that she asked me a question.

"What's it like, Jared?" she asked in a small voice.

"What's what like?" I asked, looking down at her. She smiled and sighed, rolling onto her side and looking up at me.

I don't think I'd ever seen anyone as beautiful as her; everything about her was perfect, even those tiny imperfections. It was as if I'd just opened my eyes for the first time.

"To love," she replied, her smile faultering slightly.

"Huh?" I asked, confused. She sat up, kneeling in front of me.

"I've... Never really been into dating, or romance." She shrugged slightly, "you are so I thought, maybe..."

"Never?" she shook her head. I smiled. "It's... Difficult."

"Difficult?" she asked, tilting her head to the side; the way she always did when she was confused. I couldn't help but smile.

"yeah, it's hard sometimes. Like, for example." I paused, "say I liked you, and you didn't like me back. I'd be upset yeah? That's kind of what I mean."

"Oh." She replied, her eyebrows furrowing. I felt bad; I'd given her a bad impression.

"It's not all bad though, it's the best feeling ever," I smiled, patting her head; ruffling her hair. "We'll find you someone, don't worry."

Kelsey's phone vibrated on the bed once, before Breaking Benjamin - What Lies Beneath began playing. The called ID showed the name Sam. She picked up the phone, pressing the answer call button.

"Hey Sam-a-lam, what's crack-a-lackin' baby girl?" Kelsey asked with a grin; she was always happy talking to Sam - they were more like sisters than cousins. I saw kelsey's smile faulter, before a look of confusion crossed her face. "Joe? What are you doing with Sam's phone- What do you mean she's in hospital?!" she shrieked. She then sat and listened for a minute, her eyes bulging at his words. She then drop the phone; it fell onto the bed with a faint thud.

"Kels, what's wrong?" I asked; her skin had paled slightly. It was as if she'd just seen a ghost.

"Sam's in ho-hospital," she stuttered, her eyes eventually meeting mine. "Joe pushed her."