The Pollywog Part 2

Start from the beginning

Violet distracted herself from the very boring hour by watching the game with great attention however she didn't need to pay that much attention to notice the obvious rivalry between Billy and Steve.

Steve dribbled the ball across the court and like a moth to a flame Billy followed constantly pushing up against him trying to intimidate him. But soon enough Billy realised that Steve was being the bigger man and wasn't letting the constant barging get to him and that's when he opened his mouth.
"Harrington right? I heard you used to run this school. That true?" Billy taunted but when Steve still wouldn't rise to the situation Billy pressed even further  "king Steve they used to call you huh? Then you turned bitch."

Violet felt the rage froth inside of her as she tried to keep her cool and not march onto the court and tackle Billy to the floor.
"Hey maybe you should just shut up and play the game." Steve finally responded and with that response Billy got what he wanted and caught Steve off guard pushing him to the floor before dribbling the ball and scoring by throwing it under his leg and then into the hoop causing most the girls to stand up and clap for him. Violet would of found this impressive if her best friend wasn't on the floor and just as she was about to help him up a voice caught her off guard

"Steve" Nancy wheeler caught the attention of the brown haired boy and he started to follow after her but the coaches voice stopped him in his tracks
"Harrington where are you going. Get your ass back here"  Steve looked back to his desperate team who were losing very badly. Then his eyes caught on to a certain red head sat on the bleachers and almost instinctively Violet knew where he was getting at.
"No" she said as he walked closer "Steve no" Violet pleaded as he picked her up and walked her to the coach
"Violet will cover for me. I'll be gone for like five minutes max"
"But she's a-a a" the coach stuttered
"I'm a What? A girl?" Violet asked appalled by his sexist views " Yes I'm a girl and I bet you I can play better than any of them damn boys"
At this Steve threw his arms up in a shrug
"She'll cover for me" he said before running after Nancy. The coach eyes her up before sighing and pointing for her to get on court. The truth is Violet was actually good at basketball. Her dad loved it and he taught her before he went away...

"Okay PLAY" coach yelled and Violet planted her feet as she watched a amused Billy dribble the ball across the court. She instantly decided to go up to him and keep on his trail. Violet had the advantage- she had been watching Billy and watching his moves (which were very limited) so thinking tactically Violet went for the obvious interception that he was used to knowing that Billy would be expecting it. And he did, he swiped the ball to the other side of his body and before he knew what was happening Violet was already there and was gracefully snatching the ball right of him and dribbling it to the net scoring.

Now if Billy thought he got a reaction before Violet wondered what he made of the cheers and chants coming from both girls and boys, even the coach, in the hall. He set his eyes firm on to Violet who was high-fiving her team players before turning to Billy giving him a sly look before taking her position waiting for the whistle to blow...

Eventually Steve came back in and although he looked sad he wanted to beat Billy's cocky ass so rejoined the team. Him and Violet were the best players on that team so they carried the game. Once the game was over and Steve and Violet's team managed to win Billy looked over at the Henderson girl in a mix of anger and something else but Violet couldn't quite put her finger on it. Before leaving the gym she did a weird handshake with Steve and gave the coach a smug look.

She was just about to go into the girls changing room but she could feel a specific someone's blue eyes on her. So she turned around and there he was, still topless, looking at her like he was looking right into her soul uncovering all her secrets. The adrenaline and smugness that she had gained from the game forced Violet to stroll over to Billy as she stuck her hand out.