Chapter Sixteen

Klaus had pretty much dragged Bethany towards the taxi, and into their hotel room once they arrived back. He was feeling a mixture of emotions, but there was only one that he was most certain of. Rage.

"Nik!" Bethany exclaimed, "Let go of me!"

He did as she requested, but only encased her face between his hands and crashed his lips onto hers in a fierce and dominating kiss. She was his, and he wanted her to know that.

He felt her hands pushing against his chest, but he only held her tighter, to which, she made a noise of protest. Her refusal of his kiss, only angered him more.

Klaus felt something sharp catch his lip, and he pulled away upon realising that she had bitten him. He turned his eyes to hers in surprise, and that was when she slapped him too.

Jesus Christ, that hurt!

He brought up a hand to his stinging cheek, and turned his annoyed, yet shameful eyes back towards her. And, oh, did she look positively and deliciously livid! If looks could kill an Original, he would be in a box with his family.

"Now, now, sweetheart-"

"-Don't you dare do that, again!" Her tone was so full of venom and anger, that Klaus felt his chest tighten with pride. She was captivatingly perfect for him, in every way; so beautiful and so angelic, yet so strong and commanding at the same time. His inner alpha was pleased.

"Or what, love?" He challenged, using the tip of his tongue to swipe along his lip. He could taste his own blood, and he admired the young huntress in front of him. "I'm only appeasing my inner alpha. You are his, after all."

"I am not something to claim."

On the contrary, she was. And her feistiness was only teasing Klaus. He didn't understand why he didn't just take what was rightfully his - it is what he usually did. All he needed to do, was leave a small bite on the back of her neck...

He felt his eyes glowing their precious amber, and he watched as the blonde huntress before him readied herself into a fighting stance.

Perhaps having her surrounded by his Hybrids, would make her a more willing participant? He allowed his eyes to dissolve back to their oceanic hue, and he watched as Bethany relaxed ever-so-slightly, but still kept her guard up.

"We leave for Memphis, in the morning. Perhaps you should get some rest, love." Klaus informed her, as he crossed the room towards a decanter of bourbon. He heard her bedroom door slam closed, and he grinned to himself at having her submit so childishly.

He sipped at the scotch, and sat himself down on the sofa in their suite. Her lips had been so soft against his, and the force that he had kissed her with must've been bruising. Klaus debated apologising to her - but then decided against it. She may have been putting up a front, with him, but he could hear the way her heart was racing in her chest. Although she pushed him away, he had started to feel her succumbing to his touch...if he hadn't have caged her in, she would've kissed him back, he knew. She reacted the way she did, because he hadn't given her the option of making her own decision.

Klaus remained awake throughout the night, and he could hear Bethany in her room. She was awake too; painting. He listened to her brush strokes, and he knew that she was painting away all of her anger.

He couldn't wait to catch a glimpse of the masterpiece he had inspired within her.

Bethany stopped painting, and her breaths became deeper and longer in the early hours of the morning. Although Klaus wanted her to have a good nights rest before their journey, he had started to enjoy being on the receiving end of her bitterness. There was something he found exciting about seeing the young woman angered; she looked positively ravishing.

"Good morning, sweetheart." He teased, knocking politely on her closed bedroom door. "Time to get up now, we have a long drive ahead of us!"

There was a loud thud on the other side of the door. Probably where the blonde had thrown something towards him.

He did hear her climb out of the bed, however, so he vamped into his own bathroom and took a quick shower and changed his clothes. He was ready to go, and waiting (in)patiently on the sofa for her, ten minutes before she joined him.

"Ah, there you are," He shot her one of his charming, dimpled smiles. "Looking as delightful as ever."

"Don't talk to me."

He did so, just to tease her further. Klaus become more and more captivated with each and every dark glare she aimed his way. He even snatched her suitcase from her, and carried it, and opened her car door for her. The more he acted the perfect gentleman, the darker her eyes became. She was glorious!

Stefan was already in the car, behind the wheel like a good little lap dog, and he was either completely unfazed by Klaus' niceties and Bethany's thunderous look, or just acting oblivious.

"Are we ready to go?"

"I believe we are. Aren't we, sweetheart?"

"Let's just go."

Bethany's sour mood lasted a mere hour, before she reverted back to her usual joyous self. Her anger in him, had turned into disappointment, Klaus knew. But he was already planning on ways to regain her trust.

He kept glancing at her in the side mirror, as she snapped photographs with her camera - the wind from the open window tousled her unruly curls.

They stopped for breakfast, before hitting the road again - this time with Klaus behind the wheel. Bethany had insisted on the backseat again, and Klaus felt bemused over the artist and the Salvatore fighting over who would not sit in the front with him.

Stefan lost the battle, only because the blonde decided to threaten him with the stake she had in her belt loops.

They drove for miles and miles, and when darkness clouded the daylight hours, Bethany slept in the backseat as Stefan took over at the wheel.

"I don't know much about werewolves," The Ripper began, "But I'm not stupid. She's your mate, isn't she?"

"I wondered when you would catch on." Klaus quipped, "It's only taken several weeks."

"So it's true?"

"Yes." Klaus confirmed, "I was going to return her to Mystic Falls when the summer ended, but I find myself enjoying her company more and more."

"You can't keep her for a whole decade, you know." Stefan said, "She's human."

"If I want to keep her, I will." Klaus replied, "Even if I have to turn her into a vampire to stop her ageing."

"She'll never forgive you."

"She'll have an eternity to get over it." Klaus replied with a smirk, "And as you can see, she cannot be angry for longer than an hour."

"I'm surprised she hasn't tried to kill you. Alaric said she's been one of his best-"

"-She knows I'm unkillable." Klaus replied with pride, "But I would like to see her try; it'll be fun."

"Having a stake thrown at you is 'fun'?"

"Well, I understand it wouldn't be for you. You'd just dissolve into dust." The Original Hybrid teased, "I enjoy seeing the fury on her face, she is truly captivating."

"Of course you'd find some sick sense of satisfaction, in a murderous glare."

Klaus couldn't help but agree. There was strength and power in a look so chilling, and to be on the receiving end of one had his blood pumping through his veins. He loved the excitement it brought him.

It took them a few days to get to Memphis, and once they drove past the welcoming sign and into the town, Klaus grinned widely. He could smell imminent victory again, and it was euphoric!

"Ray Sutton, where are you?"

Hope you're all safe and well!!