Chapter Three

Lyall was determined to have her way. She would not marry nor Iain nor any other Highlander of Robert the Bruce. They had ruined the beauty of her home burning villages and destroying people's lives. What they saw as a precious peace was their thirst for rule.

She twisted and turned the whole night and in the morning her eyes even though tired from restlessness exuded a wild determined power similar to a falcon ready to attack its prey. As she was walking down the corridors, the passerby sidetracked and seemed like scared animals. She was stopped only by Lady Elspeth.

"Good morning my dear! How was your sleep? You seem a little bit tired and... angry? Wasn't the announcement yesterday to your liking?" Lady Elspeth said with an ironic and squeaky voice that drew an even angrier look out of Lyall.

"I trust that you, lady Elspeth, are pleased with your nuptial announcement. Malcom Brenan the red head barbarian will make an excellent companion to your adventurous spirit and I wish you all the happiness in the world!" Lyall knew about the flirtatious reputation of Lady Elspeth and she thought her words would have stopped her from continuing that morning's charade.

But alas!

"I would have been more pleased with the choice of Iain Domnail. I heard the "Thunder of Cobalt Isle" makes women scream with pleasure in his bed. You are one lucky woman my lady! I really envy you." Lady Elspeth said with a malicious smile, bowed and left in a hurry her yellow silk dress rustling in the corridor. Lyall was left as still as a statue.

She started bringing in her mind last night's dance. She could remember the muscular arms underneath his white shirt. She had almost felt a scar on his right shoulder. His body smelt lavender and pine and exuded warmth and strength. If his ferocious reputation wouldn't have preceded him, Lyall might have found him worthy of her attention.

She snapped out of her daydreaming by a voice that has started to sound familiar.

"Lady Lyall, it is such a joy to see me future bride in the morning. I trust you slept well," Iain said and looked at her straight in the eyes.

"Thank you for requiring of my health, Iain Domnail."

"Would you like me to escort you at the morning table? Lady Elspeth had her breakfast already and your mother is in the room as well."

Lyall could find no excuse and she agreed with a simple nod. Iain walked by her side and entered the room together. All the signs of last night's festivities had disappeared. Ladies and knights were having breakfast while the king was eating slowly observing everyone in the room. When he saw Iain and Lyall, he nodded. Lyall understood that they were to have breakfast at the royal table.

Iain placed her first and then he sat next to her. Lady Elaine was not to be found and Lyall seemed like a fish out of a pond but the King put her at ease.

"Your mother lady Lyall had already had her breakfast. She was to go for a walk in the gardens for her digestion as she claimed... You seem to be late out of bed. Is this how it was customary in the royal court in London?"

The last comment raised a slow laughter around the table but Lyall was quick to her answer.

"No, your Grace. In London, as in every royal court there is an early rise. However, it is not expected for young ladies who have been announced suddenly of their nuptials to have a light sleep and be amongst the first to join the breakfast table."

And with that Lyall sat down and started meddling with the bawl of pottage in front of her.

"You will have quite a handful with such a brazen tongued lady, Iain," the King said.