It's a Cold World Without You

Hailey Shever had had the perfect life. She had awesome friends, the best brother... Some people think that just because you're related you can't get along. For Hailey and Kyle, that just wasn't the case. Hailey always thought that the reason they got along was because they were related. She had always wanted a sibling and so had he. They were adopted into the same family when they were both seven-years-old. Ironically, they even shared a birthday. Hailey and Kyle loved having each other and they always thought of each other as their sibling. They could relate to each other because they were related, and they loved it. They had the same mom who had lost interest in them after their parents got divorced. She couldn't care less about where they were or what they were doing. She went out almost every night, and so did they. Together, of course, always together. People just couldn't wrap they heads around Hailey and Kyle, you see, because very few people knew they were adopted. It wasn't like it was a secret, they just didn't go around talking about their personal lives. Besides, even though they didn't look alike, people automatically assumed they were twins. Most likely because of their birthdays. Hailey knew Kyle's secrets, and he knew hers. That was all they needed. When the divorce was finalized, the man they referred to as "father" ran off with another woman. That hit them both hard. It was like he didn't care. Especially once he had children of his own, that didn't help improve their relationship at all. Hailey and Kyle loved those kids; they loved the idea of more siblings. But unfortunately, their father's new wife didn't like them. No matter, as long as Hailey had Kyle and Kyle had Hailey everything about their existence was perfect.

Hailey had dark blond hair; it actually looked to be molten gold. Her eyes were green with streaks of gold the same colour as her hair. Her hair was waist length, always straightened and cut into a point that almost ended at the small of her back. She had a lean figure from playing sports; her favourite was soccer. She had three earrings in each ear and a belly button piercing. She always dressed in lively colours, much to Kyle's amusement.

Where Hailey was light, Kyle was dark. He had black hair with slight curls that always hung in his eyes. His eyes were a steel grey and almost never showed emotion, unless it was Hailey who was looking into them. She always knew how much it bothered him that she could read him like a book, but she also knew it comforted him that someone had been able to slip through every barrier that he could put up. He was also athletic, like Hailey, and had a nice build to prove it. Kyle was amused by Hailey's colourful wardrobe because his was almost entirely black except for the odd grey article.

Yes, they differed in appearance, but not in personality. Hailey and Kyle were on the soccer team and the basketball team, which was Kyle's favourite. They went to parties often enough, and when they didn't they were hanging out on the streets downtown. They could be home whenever they wanted because chances were their mother wasn't going to be home that night anyway. She didn't tell them what she was up to, and they didn't ask. Same went for whatever it was they were doing.

Despite the late nights, they both made the honour roll. Every term. And even taking all the advanced courses possible. Which also meant they were in many of the same classes.

Same family, same sports, same friends, same parties. That was Hailey and Kyle; joined at the hip. People, who didn't know them, thought they were dating. Well, they didn't care, let them think what they think, right?

Everything ended though, in one night, at one party. How is it possible that everything changed in such a short period of time?