Ashes

He promised he'd always keep you safe. He was your best friend, childhood, teenage years and every twist and turn that came with it. He was by your side, whispering softly in your ear when things got rough, that he was there no matter what, that you were safe as long as you were his best friend.

"I'll never let anything, or anyone, hurt you."

His brown eyes, his toffee curls, his nervous stutter and his nerd t-shirts never failing to bring a smile to your face. He was always there, always smiling, always holding your hand when times got tough, and you always held his.

You held his hand whenever he thought it was his fault his parents left. You held his hand through every argument with Uncle Ben and Aunt May, through every bullies remark, every taunt. You whispered to him the same way he whispered to you. And when Uncle Ben passed away, and Peter locked himself in his room for two weeks, refusing to even answer your texts, you sat outside his bedroom door, pushing his homework underneath it, telling him that you were here when he was ready.

You didn't know what that form would be, but it presented itself at three in the morning, blood gushing and curls bouncing limply.

"Hey," he provided through a hiss. "C-can I come in?"

"P-P-Peter?" You pulled him inside your room, the window falling shut behind him and you pulled him towards your bed.

Gauze in hand, a bucket of warm water at your side and a hot towel shaking in your hands. "God, Peter, what have you been- what- how long?"

"Not too- not too long," he'd whispered, his eyes pinching shut as you cleaned his wound. It was already starting to heal, but he wasn't sure what would happen if he got an infection, or if there was anything still lodged in the cut. You'd shaken your head, tears welling in your eyes as you worked, and he placed his hand on your cheek.

"I'll be safe, I promise."

You smiled softly, his curls bouncing lightly as he shifted on your bed.

You were by his side every step of the way after that, through every villain, through every trial, through every injury, you were by his side, doing everything you could do for him. Often times, when he was out later than you expected, you'd find yourself sitting on the balcony, wrapped in a blanket. He'd carried you inside so many times as you'd fallen asleep waiting for him to come back.

Every time he carried you in, he'd smile. She waited for me.

When things were more dangerous, you were still there. You'd gone to his aid after the Goblin had captured him, he'd screamed upon seeing you, willing you to leave, regardless of what was happening to him. But you'd found an old webshooter set, pre-Stark tech designed by the webslinger himself, and the Goblin hadn't seen it coming.

But you hadn't seen the knife. He swiped at you, you fired off the web shooter, and Peter fought hard against his restraints, narrowly getting out of them in time to stop the knife that was aiming for your throat.

"What- the- hell- get out of here!" He'd shouted, his legs wrapped around the Goblin as he rammed his elbow into his head repeatedly, attempting to knock him out.

"Not without you!" You'd shouted back, using the web shooter to gain leverage, launching yourself at the two men, and delivering the final knockout punch.

He'd cursed and yelled and you yelled right back, your friendship at a tipping point, and then your lips were on his. It was new and exciting and wrong but oh so so right to feel his lips on yours, moving with yours, firm against yours and his hands on your face and he was sobbing and you were shaking because for a second, both of you saw the what if looming in the air.