Chapter 44: Ultimate Recruitment Ends

"Do you realize it's Moana's seventeenth birthday, today?" Sina asked Tui in Motunui.

"It is..." Tui and let out a big sigh.

"I hope she's doing all right," Sina said, worriedly. "It's way past two months. I really hope nothing happened to her."

"She should be fine, and she'll continue to be fine for the rest of her journey," Tui said. "She's with Maui. Even if she's not, I'm sure she can do fine on her own. She's a strong girl."

Even though Tui sounds relaxed, he was deeply considered about Moana's safety and well-being. Moana... happy birthday... I hope you're doing fine. Please... please, please, please, please, please... stay safe... Tui thought as he looked at the ocean and the horizon. Maui... please keep Moana safe from any danger... He let out one more deep sigh.

********

"Hey, chief, it's your birthday, right?" Maui asked.

"How did you know?" Moana asked.

"I asked your parents," Maui replied. "And then I counted how many days were left and today came."

"Wow, you counted that?" Moana said. "I'm impressed."

"Anything for my chief, who is also my princess," Maui winked. His facial expression became sad as he said, "But so unfortunate that you're on your mission when it's your birthday." Then he smiled once more and said, "I promise I will celebrate greatly when we go back to Motunui."

"Don't worry about it too much, Maui," Moana said with a relieving smile.

"Is there anything special you want to do when we go back?" Maui asked.

"I'll think about it," Moana said. "And, we're here."

"Allow us to help you before you face him," the wisp said from the charm. "I am the last one so allow me to give you the power to all five of your senses. Behold the power of reflexes." The wisp turned into a green marble of light and exerted the aura of light around Moana and Maui. "You will be able to dodge almost all attacks. The forceful ones are the priority, so I'm afraid you would have to find an alternative method to deal with the minor attacks."

"We still have our ointment," Moana said. "Don't you worry about us."

"We'll seal him by the end of the day," Maui said as he carried his fishhook over his shoulder.

"Let's go, Maui," Moana said to Maui, and turned to the wisp and said, "Thank you for this power."

The wisp went back into the charm so that Moana and Maui can face their final battle before the real combat between them and Kapu'uila. The island was rather spooky and dark. The trees had no leaves, the branches looked rather brittle, and the air had an unpleasant smell that Moana and Maui just could not identify. 

"I just don't like the feeling about this," Moana said to herself. Even though Moana was speaking to herself, Maui would answer, but he was also distracted by the eerie atmosphere that he did not realize Moana even said a single word. 

They walked cautiously into the forest, stepped through the dense fog, and paid attention to any sounds. Pua shivered in Maui's arm. "It's all right, Pugsley," Maui soothed him.

Heihei clucked in Moana's arms. "Heihei, sh!" Moana shushed him quietly as possible. 

Before Moana and Maui both took another step, they leaped towards the opposite side of each other against their will. Before they tried to think about what happened to their body, a large branch whipped where they were both standing. "So that must be the power we have," Moana said to Maui.