Ch 10. Family and growth

And that's exactly what I did.

I watched Caleb and my family grow older. And I watched as Ivy and Owen grow up and have a families of their own. I watched Caleb and Keykey get "married" with vending machine rings and a dumb ceremony preformed in the snack isle of the supermarket. Caleb wore two plastic bags that were tied together on his head and keykey wore a tuxedo t-shirt. Jason was the 'priest' and he read a Minecraft handbook like a Bible. The whole thing was a giant joke. I'm just glad I witnessed it.

I was there when keykey had to take Connie to be put to sleep.
And when Caleb cried for his cat who died of respiratory problems. But our pets joined me. And I wasn't alone anymore...

But.. being dead and invisible is hard. I watched as my big sister, Naya died at the age of 66. And her twin and her two kids go into mourning. But she joined me, Connie, and Loki as her younger self; The one we all remember her as, the quick tempered, stubborn, promise keeping, child loving, dummy that she was. Her twin joined us next. Jason with his henna covered arm and his freckle-covered, pale skin, his bright orange hair and green eyes the same as before. Then... Keykey, she cried when she saw me, it had been nearly 59 years since the last time we were in the same room alive. Now we're both dead, and reunited at last.

But Caleb was left alone. All of us were dead, he had Ivy and Owen, and their kids. But not us, not his beloved friends, or his cat, Loki. Or my old dog Connie. The people he grew up with were dead, and waiting for him.

He joined us.. 10 years later.
Keykey launched herself onto him, giggling happily. Then Jason slapped him hard on his back, resulting in Caleb hugging him around the neck and laughing. Then came Naia, who glared at him before Saying "Jojo siwa" in a very threatening tone. His eyes lit up as she said those words,
"The best thing I had ever done." He said triumphantly, resulting in Naya punching him in the gut before pulling him into a big hug.

Then he saw me, lingering behind the others. And he started to cry, pushing my siblings away, he began running toward me, a giant smile upon his face as he pulled me into a giant hug. "Long time no see you big homo." I said,
"Shut up little gay."
As he started to pull away from the hug, I pulled him down to look at me.
I kissed him.
And he kissed back.

"I KNE W IT!!" Keykey screeched,
Naia and Jason just groaned in unison.

"You two are so damn gay Jesus Christ." Jason said after Caleb pulled away grinning.

"Wow, how many years have I been out? Uh, since I was 15. I thought you would've remembered." I replied, crossing my arms.

Caleb laughs, "I literally said to keykey, 'I spent 13 years in there I'm not going back.' When she told me to get into the closet."

I smile, "did y'all know that I ghosted Caleb for like a month after I died? He literally was like the dumbest person, he kept on seeing and hearing me but he didn't accept it. Then when he finally saw me he cried like a little baby."

"I did not!" He exclaims, clearly distraught.

I sigh, "Caleb, you have the memory of a doorknob when it comes to things that make you look bad."

He grins, "Yeah, and you have the intelligence of a shrimp. Your point is?"

"Ok for one, I graduated high school and I was going to go to college but, you know. Um, I died."

"Oh yeah.."

Keykey coughs, "gay"
Caleb grins, punching key's shoulder "no shit Sherlock."

Naya laughs, walking over with Loki in her arms.
Caleb stares at his cat, a giant smile appearing on his face.
Loki yowls, realizing Caleb is here.

Naya sets her down and the cat scampers over to Caleb, purring loudly and rubbing his legs.

Caleb looks like he's about to cry.

We lived happily after that. I mean, we're dead so we aren't really living. so I guess existed??
Caleb's siblings showed up one day, looking like their 16 year old selves. Alex's voice was deeper than I remember it being when he was 16. But I guess the testosterone hit him like a bus.
Naomi's pink hair as vibrant as it always was, the brown of her natural hair showing just enough to see that pink wasn't her natural hair color.

And life(death?) returned to normal until Naya's kids joined us aswell as Ivy and Owen.
The family is back together, no one left to mourn our deaths any longer.
No one for us to watch over, no one who we knew when we were alive left behind.
We're dead.
We're just beings who have left their footprints in the sand of that beach we call time.
We will be forgotten about. But that's okay, because we have each other. Our family, our friends, our whole lives left behind us.
Even though our old bodies have decayed in the ground. And we are merely just fragments of a second on the earth's clock; we're happy.

And even if I could go back in time and stop my death.. I wouldn't. My sister, keykey, grew to be the person she is today because of my death.
My brother, Jason, found love for the first time because of my death.
Naya and Caleb grew inseparable, and Caleb became Naya's wingman, and helped her in finding the courage to ask out the woman who would eventually become her wife.
And Caleb, god.. he grew in so many ways, he became a great father, a loyal friend, and if he married someone he'd be an amazing husband. But he didn't marry. He waited for me. He grew to be the happy man that he is now.
And I truly believe that I died for a reason.

Death has their ways, they plans out our deaths, some more gruesome than others.

But they know what is going to happen to us.

There is no god in our world, just the grim reaper and their book of souls. . .