Chapter 3

A/N: Thanks for reading!

....

"Bella!" I exclaimed loudly as she answered the phone.

I heard her pause on the other end before she asked, "Edward?"

"Listen, Bella. I just had to call you and apologize. I'm so very, very sorry."

"You called me at five in the morning to apologize?"

What? What was she talking about? It wasn't five in the morning. I frowned and looked down at my watch trying to read the little roman numerals.

"It's not five in the morning, it's only two."

I heard her let out a strangled sigh. "I'm in New York, Edward. I'm three hours ahead of you. It's five."

"Oh. Sorry. I'm sorry I keep upsetting you, and talking about Charlie and shit, and for calling you so early."

"Great. Thanks. Are you done apologizing now? I'd like to get back to sleep," she said in an irritated voice.

I made a face at the phone. I didn't get what her problem was. I'd apologized, hadn't I?

"Yeah, I'm done."

Before I could even say good night or whatever, she'd hung up on me. I stared at my phone in disbelief. I couldn't believe her! I'd called to apologize and she acted like a bitch. Scowling, I turned around when someone asked me I needed a ride home.

I looked up and saw that James guy with his Tanya look-alike wife. I really did need a ride home but even as drunk as I was, I knew it was a bad idea to get in a car with a stranger. I would know. I wrote about that kind of shit, and it never ended well.

"I'm good," I slurred as I turned my back on him and scrolled through my phone until I found Jasper's number.

"Ed, man, what the fuck?"

"I need a ride home."

"Oh, Jesus. You're fucking drunk, aren't you?" he asked sounding pissed.

"A bit."

He told me he'd be there soon and fifteen minutes later, I was being poured into his car. He looked pissed and I commented on it.

"Of course, I'm pissed. Dude, I was fucking asleep."

"Think of it as good practice for when that kid of yours shows up. You'll never get sleep then," I informed him, wisely.

"Which is why I want to enjoy my sleep now."

Soon, I was stumbling up the steps to my house and in the door. I managed to lock it before I face-dived onto my couch.

I woke up the next morning to someone pressing on my doorbell. Cursing, I made my way to the door, yanking it open with a scowl on my face.

"What?" I snarled.

My mom raised and eyebrow and said in a deadly voice, "Don't take that tone with me, young man."

Immediately, I apologized. If there was one person I didn't want to piss off, it was my mom.

"Go take a shower. You smell like you drowned in alcohol and when you come back down, you'd better have a better attitude."

Scowling, I stomped upstairs feeling like a scolded little kid. Ten minutes later, I made my way into the kitchen and found a platter of pancakes waiting for me. Through mouthfuls of food, I told my mom how awesome she was.

"Of course I am. I stopped by to see if you need anything for the house. I'm going to an estate sale in Seattle later," she explained.

"I could use some furniture for the living room and guest bedrooms," I told her.